VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Anyone Have Any Idea What Development Letter Sent Means?

Rate this question

Inthewind

Question

My claim was closed yesterday and in eBenefits in updates it says:

Appeal is Possible

Decision Notification Sent

Development Letter Sent <------ Does anyone know what this letter is included for? What it may say, or it's purpose?

I've done some searching on HADIT but every mention is just text copy pasted into a paragraph not Germaine to asking what the letter means/says.

So, if anyone has one, or has recently seen one I'd be greatful if you could post a small brief explanation.

I went from 50% to 100% P&T.

Thanks!

So this guy is 100 PERCENT disabled and able to work? How does that even make sense? In the Navy? A majority of you guys are scamming your government and are not Patriots. Not all, but a lot. Just trying to scam for a few dollars more. Truly Pathetic. An Navy guy with PTSD? How does that even happen? Have you seen close combat? Very Un American. I am retired Army and see the pathetic weasels trying to squeeze every last dollar out of their government. No different than a foodstamp scammer. Truly sad.

@ricknewman5 - I just happen to be a retired Army 1SG if it's me you're referring to. I guess your jump to conclusions that I was Navy speaks to your knowledge of anything at all regarding this forum. The rank on my profile has to do with my post count. Look below the picture for branch of service and you'll see your error. Also, what my military record is or isn't, is none of your business. Anyone, (primarily speaking of you by the way) that comes in this forum and makes generalized negative statements is truly sad. You can't possibly know anyones situation. To say people are scamming the government and are un-American with everything thats been proven about the VA and their methods of treating ALL veterans like sub-human species is pretty arrogant and un-patriotic so look in the mirror. I tend to believe you're nothing but a troll. Good luck in your future endeavors, particularly if you've come here to learn or gain some assistance from the large amount of knowledge to be had from these forums. I doubt you'll get it with a first post like that.

• In Memoriam

Inthewind, Congratulations

Ricknewman,

Chuck75 is right about many things.

My Squadron dropped 7,000 tons of ordinance and worked 8,000 hours in VN. I watched at least 13 people died while in service and in the combat zone. I am US Navy. Most of my family were US Navy in WW2 and died of service related incidence.

Since you are a new guy there is much tolerance. Just be aware that the owner of this site and most helpers are US Navy. We care about our brothers and sisters. If you can not understand please have a little tolerance for what you do not know.

• Founder

Development letters are sent in the early stages of your claim. It acknowledges your claim and asks for additional evidence if you have any.

The VA is legally required to send this letter to you. The letter may ask for things that aren’t applicable to your case, like buddy statements, or it may ask for things you’ve already submitted, like medical records. The development letter will also contain blank forms. Most likely, you filled out all the required forms already. The blank forms are only attached if you have additional evidence you want to submit.You do not have to send in everything the VA asks for; you only have to send in anything you haven’t already submitted. 

Check out these articles:

Ebenefits Development Letter Sent

Ebenefits Status Messages

On 9/8/2014 at 4:33 PM, Chuck75 said:

While I'm at it, the current 100% VA disability payment is ~$3,000 a month or $36,000. By law this is supposed to"compensate" for lost earnings (and nothing else)

The current average income in the US is ~$55,000. Only perverse government logic can say that the two are equal. 

It's more a case of the VA "scamming" veterans than the other way around.

$36,000 tax-free net is fairly close to $55,000 taxed gross at a day job. To pocket $36,000, you'd have to work at a $55,000 job and have a total withholding of about 34%. Add up health insurance, a 401k contribution, and taxes depending on the state and locality...you might just be in the neighborhood. 

And to keep the post on topic, a development letter could be an advisory "we're still working on your claim" letter or it could be one that matters...the difference is the "IMPORTANT - reply needed" header near the top. Those are usually due process letters that propose an action and give you 60 days to react. 

-CHD505

Edited by CoolHandDevil505