VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Declining Va Benefits

Rate this question

CallieSquirrel

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Well, this isn't an everyday request ... I suspect that a Senior VSR will be handling this, or providing some direct training on the procedures.

You certainly can make a call to the 800 number to get info. My admittedly QND review of the following regulations and policies suggests that a simple written request will suffice; this can be your own letter or on VA Form 21-4138.

In any event, here is some light reading about renouncements, concurrent receipt, etc.:

38 CFR 3.106 http://www.benefits....ART3/S3_106.DOC

38 CFR 3.750(d) http://www.benefits....ART3/S3_750.DOC

21-1MR Pt III Subpart v, Chap 5, Section A, Para 3 http://www.benefits....II_v_5_SecA.doc

I need to know how to go about declining VA benefits. I no longer wish to receive monies or any other benefit from them. I only want my retirement pay. Does anyone know the procedures for that?

• HadIt.com Elder

I need to know how to go about declining VA benefits. I no longer wish to receive monies or any other benefit from them. I only want my retirement pay. Does anyone know the procedures for that?

With the limited info you have posted here, congratulations, 'CallieSquirrel' .

Best wishes,

C.B.

Edited by Commander Bob

Not sure why anyone would want to sever their 100% award but I hope you have talked this over with your family or doctors?

• HadIt.com Elder

I find your question intriguing, Callie Squirrel. Do you wish to share why you want to discontinue your VA benefits? Is it problems with the VAMC treatment or the VA bureaucracy that motivates you to want to decline VA benefits?

In the 1970's, although I was eligible to receive SS disability, I refused to apply for it, because I thought the military should take care of it's own, and that social security was for civilians.

We all have a story. What's yours? Maybe we can learn something from your perspective.

Cmdr. Bob

Edited by Commander Bob

Yes, you can decline your VA benefits, but I would exercise caution in doing so. Your job or income could dry up and you may need this. Then it would take forever to get it back. If you really dont need the money, you could donate it to your church, family member(s), or your favorite charity. You simply would send a 21-4138 form and state that you so elect to discontinue your VA benefits..I am not even sure you need to give a reason.

While I agree with Commander Bob, your question is intriguing. Still, I can think of examples why one would theoretically elect to decline their VA benefits.

One that comes to mind is if you won the lottery, and dont need the money and wish it to be given to a more needy Vet. I get that.

Even if you were not "filthy rich" but had a great JOB and did not want to continue to put up with the VA's shennanigans, I could understand that as well.

For most of us, if we had the option of working with a great, well paying job, we would not be here. I know I would not. I put up with my disabilities for years and years before I applied for VA bennies. But where were they when I needed them? Oh, they decided to take 10 years processing my benefit claim. Knowing what I know now, I would have applied 10 years earlier due to the "lag time".