VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Chemical Makeup Question

Rate this question

CCC

Question

Relatively new to my research here - only been doing this for about a year. I do have a question. If it sounds silly, please forgive me.

If one were doing research on certain Superfund sites, and found 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T on that particular site, would it be safe to assume that Agent Orange had been used at this site? Seeing as how 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T are the chemicals that make up Agent Orange?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"He was at Fort Gordon for MP training"

If he falls into the time frame of this document for AO usage in Fort Gordon and had perimeter duty during the training, this fact might be the most significant area to focus on for his claim:

“Location: Fort Gordon, GA

Dates: 7/15/1967 - 7/17/1967

Project Description: During the period of 12/1966 - 10/1967, a comprehensive short-term evaluation was conducted by personnel from Fort Detrick's Plant Science Lab in coordination with contract research on formulations by chemical industry and field tests by USDA and U of HI.

Agents: In-house desiccants mixtures and formulations, Orange and Blue

DoD Involvement: Yes “

Source:http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/outside_vietnam_usa.asp

I am pretty sure this document was also used by James Cripps. His BVA decision might help you.

James Cripps BVA AO award:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0941553.txt

This is how Kurt Priessman won the very first AO Thailand claim too..he found positive proof that they used AO on his base and that his security details put him on the perimeter. He was a security dog handler.

We did many shows with Kurt at SVR, available here, and I recall Kurt telling me years ago how many of the dogs he

trained ,who also had perimeter duty,in Thailand, became quite ill and many died. I am sure it was due to their exposure to AO while on duty.

Kurt did extensive research starting from the Ranch Hand Study to include all available DOD papers he could find.

Although the focus of the Ranch Hand study was on Vietnam, and not on Thailand or any other potential AO site, he still found information,or hints as to where to find it, from this study.

"It was sprayed regularly by a civilian" that means a federal contractor might well have done the spraying.

It might pay to try to find federal contractors who were doing herbicide and weed control in these areas at the time of the spraying.

It is even possible that Monsanto or Dow was contracted to do some of this work on military bases.

The internet has made it easier than ever for veterans to find evidence to support their claims.

to add:

Not only Dow and Monsanto produced AO, but Diamond Alkali is now a Superfund site.

Since the spraying was done by a civilian, proof of the spraying might need to be found by researching all AO manufacturers.

“The Diamond Alkali Co. in Newark, New Jersey, was one of the major producers of Agent Orange for the government. Spurred by Pentagon officials to make their production schedules to "help the war effort," patriotic employees at Diamond Alkali eagerly sought to fill their quotas.

But some of Diamond Alkali's employees began suffering what were described as "painful and disfiguring" skin diseases, according to the doctor who treated more than 50 of the employees in the early and mid 1960s. “

http://www.usvetdsp.com/agentorange.htm

Thanks again, Berta. He didn't walk the perimeter at Ft. Gordon. He was just there for MP training.

I will look into the civilian contractors and see what was sprayed at Seneca and Ft. Ord.

You've given me some good ideas.

Hello CCC and Berta and Jbasser.

Please check the topic I just bumped under this one for the list of Bases and Depots that AO was used in the United States. I took the list from the Training Seminar in Sept 1973 that I also posted here under AO and listed all of the posts/bases that personnel list that had to attend. So if someone is on that list then they had to attend the mandatory training seminar , so that means it was used . If you search the article and some of my AO posts you can even get the topic here of "Important DOD US Army Forms Chemcial and AO Application Forms" that I posted here on Dec 24 , 2008. The Forms that had to be used to spray AO and Chemical applications were....

AR 420-74

DD 1532

DA Form 2785 abd DA Form 2785-R Installation Natural Resources Report Part 1 Land Management (Including Soil and Water Conservation) AR 430-74

THESE ARE REPORTS THAT IF ANYONE HAS COPIES TO >>>PLEASE POST HERE AT HADIT.

CCC,,,,, it is imperative that you are able to link HOW you were exposed. The fact that it was there is probably not going to do it at this stage of the game. Berta is right on. Your MOS and or how you came in contact with it must be verified or supported. You can use Buddy Statements and such but Superfund Studies and cleanups are important with conjunction and ultimately must be tested in the Courts ........This could possibly tilt the Benefit of a Doubt, however at this point in time it will take alittle more evidence as for job , mos, buddy statements to tilt that scale.

I have filed numerous Freedom of Information Acts on these records with many agencies from US Army and down , and noone will give them out. They are under tight restraint and I have only seen one report linking any of the above Forms and they were posted here under Fort Greely Installation and Assesment Report Sept 1975" If anyone can get these from anywhere ,,,,,, please PLEASE POST THEM HERE and tell the rest of the forum how they obtained these very critical and important reports. It will help others to find these reports on where they were stationed. I believe you have a tough one to get these reports even though Fort Gordon was in the line of fire of AO.

I am working on a project right now with some Washington DC folks that I hope to get these reports and some others. WHEN I get this door open then we will post them and more. I already have the MOS and job with buddy statements to link it. As well as the Environmental cleanups and State and Federal Agencies stating that it was there. I hope you and others can find something concerning these reports as they are very important. Good luck with your claim and your perserverance I salute.

Thank you all again for your keeping this AO alive and going. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate