VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Has Anyone Ever Done A Fully Documented Claim?

Snookster

Question

I am currently rated at 50% PTSD and am waiting on a C&P for hearing & tinnitus in a week or so. I have a signed statement from my Psychiatrist AND my psychologist alluding to the fact that I am completely unable to continue ANY type of work.

I found info on a FDC and am wondering if this should be my next claim? I have everything (including statement from my last job) that I can see that they would want.

Has anyone ever done this? Would it be worth my while? Would my claim really get decided quicker?

I have also filed for SSDI last week and was told we did a good job on our paperwork with them, so maybe that's a good sign too.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Snookster

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

16 answers to this question

I have also filed for SSDI last week and was told we did a good job on our paperwork with them, so maybe that's a good sign too.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Snookster

Snookster, On SSDI it took about 6 months to get approval and then another 6 weeks to get the money and its back dated differently for each case. I have heard of some getting it faster.

Good Luck and injoy life!

Appreciate the info my Brother, but I have done my homework with SSDI and am comfortable with my paperwork. Not expecting miracles, but I wouldn't bet against what I gave them...

HOWEVER.....The question remains...has ANYONE ever filed a FDC for IU??

Thanks for looking!

Snook

Fast letter 10-22. FDC

I/ u doesn't fall under FDC. Only increase new secondary.

FDC can be new secondary reopen ( tough one) and increase. You can also do it for pension. The catch is everything must be submitted up front. You can't have a claim already running either. Worst theyll do is tell you you are out of the program, but by signing certificate DTA is met ( meaning even if inel you still either get an exam or rtr). IBS is oresumptive and sounds like gulf war is conceded. Sounds like by doing FDC you will get a letter stating you are excluded because of a claim going, but should get the exam at the same time. That is your call. Again, recap:

Can't file FDC with claim already going ( will receive a letter saying you are excluded) again claim will still move forward but defeats the purpose of FDC.

All evidence must be submitted up front with 526ez.

Do NOT submit abything else afte FDC claim is

in. You will be excluded (kinda defeats the purpose of FDC). But will get a letter telling you that you're excluded. See the link at the beginning if this chain

IMHO. It works. Just have to have your ducks in a row before submitting. Yes you lose effective date, but some have been waiting almost a year and mine is in decision in less then four MOS. JMHO. It is your call.

Edited by T8r (see edit history)

FDC doesn't cover IU? WOW! I was under the impression it did. I was told by a VARO that FDC is the way to go to expedite your claim. I also understand that I cannot have any other claims open in order to file for FDC. She has seen all my paperwork and is giving me the thumbs up to proceed. BUT....If I cannot file for IU, what can I file for? Is it going to be for a 100% rating? Please explain, as my old ass doesn't understand. Think I will PM you also. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated!

Snookster

FDC means by signing the certificate you got everything a normal letter will entail. This

Means everything is submitted and you either get an exam or rated. Problem with IU is that the va needs an 8940, 4192 and further development which means you can't supply everything upfront because you didn't get a part in the standard letter. The funny thing is that you can still submit the 8940, 4192, ssa records and they will tell you that you are I eligible, but you are still at the same

Point as an FDC, BUT they will send you a letter. And still probably (should) set you up for an exam because you have submitted everything up front. Just return the vcaa response. Not saying this will be quicker, because every va regional office moves at its own pace, but they would seem hard pressed to explain why it takes so long.

AGAIN. FDC means you have submitted everything up front. Do not submit anything else. Get your ducks in a roll. It took me six months to get everything before I submitted my FDC claim, but took about three and a half mos to get a first time favorable decision of 50% for mood disorder. True I list back pay by waiting but gained time on the decision.

I am very suspicious of the VA, basically, telling me to "wait until you get your ducks in a row" before submitting (FDC) claim, and gather the evidence first, before applying. Why? First I am always suspicious when someone says they are with the government and are here to help me.

More importantly, this would appear to be just another government program where the main purpose is to get us to delay filing our claim (and get a later effective date) "in hopes" that the RO will actually work it faster.

A FDC, even if it actually sped up the claims process, would only be as good as the management at the RO that implemented it, and that varies widely among RO's.

I dont know about you, but I can not see how "getting my medical records" on my dime will be any faster than "getting them on the VA's dime".

In other words, we dont get paid until the "effective date of the claim" and waiting to file, for whatever reason, simply costs the Vet money in retro.

The smart thing to do, IMHO, is to apply for benefits pronto. Then, yes, gather your records together while the VA is developing your claim, and dont drag your feet on that. You see, there is more stuff the VA does in developing our claim other than just gathering our records, tho that is an important part of it. For example, the VA will schedule a C and P exam, if applicable. They probably wont do this until they get your records because, your records may or may not contain enough evidence to grant or deny your claim without a C and P exam. Since C and P exams cost money, the VA does not do them unless necessary. For example if your medical records do not document a nexus, in theory, a C and P exam could do just that.

For me, I am going to file my claims ASAP, then gather the evidence as quickly as I can, and mail it off as quickly as I can. I see no benefit in waiting until all the evidence arrives before sending in the claim except maybe to "make the VA numbers look better" because it will seem like less time if the Veteran does all the work gathering the evidence, but you have to add back the time you took to have everything ready to hand it off to the VA.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Again. I gave my mine you gave yours. Snookster do what you feel. I DID eat retro, but my benefits and decision was started in three to four mos. how long did it take bronco vet? I consider paying my dime upfront as an investment and get it back in the end with a first time ( no appeal, no reconsideration) grant for 50%. Jmho

Also with snooksters case, he would get a va exam die to being 50% for possible increase or IU. His call. Too each there own. Thank you broncovry for pros and cons.

Respectfully

T8r

All,

I may be talking out of my bu**, but, here goes.

I don't see how any claim can be fully developed, especially when what you are claiming may or may not fit a VA diagnostic code.

I had a simple claim with a diagnosis and two proceedures while on active duty. Normal VA claim process. Needed to have a C&P. I believe at this time it would have been a fully developed claim. Active duty evidence. Two seperate Hospital notes, and a VA C&P.

But, it was sent back for another C&P for a totally different condition I would have not related to my original medical problem.

I don't know who is working for me at any level, but I feel someone (VFW, VA, God) is trying to get me compensation by a alternative path. I don't see anyone doing that with a FDC, as you (the claiment) is saying all the evidence you need to make a decision is here..

My uneducated 2 cents,

Hamslice

Thanks to all who answered this thread! It seems that "maybe" some do not fully understand an FDC claim or have never even heard of it. I did some searching for a more descriptive answer to this and I found this: http://www.dav.org/n...cle.aspx?ID=556

It seems that some vets indeed are using this claim and alot are getting good results. But remember that you must have EVERYTHING they could possibly want from you & they will get the rest from your records. I really believe that the ones who do not get fast results, must not have done their homework with this type of claim.

This has been very interesting to me and I hope all of YOU!

Thank You

Snookster

Edited by Snookster (see edit history)

Snookster I did the same with SSDI well documented with VAMC papers and diagnosis it took just about six months as well and was awarded the VA however is a different animal I agree with others get increased and secondary conditions added will help your TDIU intensively hope this helps

Am Praying for you all

Thanks for your service

Thanks Geek....Yes, I have a claim pending right now for Hearing loss & tinnitus...go to my C&P next Tuesday morning @ 7:00 AM. So far, my 1st Audiology test confirms what I've been saying about my hearing loss and it also said something about my tinnitus....this next test I "suppose," is going to confirm what they saw on my 1st one.

Again Many Thanks!

Snookster

The concept of FDC is really nothing new. A Vet told me that, when she got out of the military 20 years ago, she was able to get a complete copy of her SMR,'s which she kept.

So, when she applied for benefits 10 years ago, she had full documentation, along with her current medical records. She was able to get Service connection in 4 months.

So, most certainly, if you got a copy of your SMR's when you exited the military, by all means send a copy of them to the RO, along with your current medical exams.

For most Vets, however, this is a pipe dream. They dont have a copy of their SMR's, in part, because that was back when we were "invincible" and what on earth would we need medical records for, anyway?

Next, we have often moved, sometimes several states away, and medical records are strung out in many different places. Even tho I want to the VA in different states, the records that arrived from VAMC "A" to VAMC "B" are woefully inadequate and incomplete. As my wife said, there can not be that many "glitches" in our paperwork without someone at the helm performing them. About 1000 Vets a day die, so the VA has a good chance you will too, if they can just delay you for a few more years. It works, so the VA keeps it up.

Please, dont get me wrong. If you have these records, by all means send them in, along with your other documentation. If, however, you are in the majority who does not have his complete SMR's and/or medical records after service then dont smoke the "hopium" offered by the VA that if you just order your records first, then send them in, your claim will go much faster. It will yield you a later effective date, and not save you any time.

Appreciate the info my Brother, but I have done my homework with SSDI and am comfortable with my paperwork. Not expecting miracles, but I wouldn't bet against what I gave them...

HOWEVER.....The question remains...has ANYONE ever filed a FDC for IU??

Thanks for looking!

Snook

Your rating is 50% at that you will not get the IU for you need one rating at 60% or a combo of ratings totaling 70%. You will need to ask for an increase in the PTSD and ask for the IU at the same time. IU is the last part of any claim that is decided and there is a lot of work to be done by the RO before it rules on the IU part. Get the paperwork filled out on your employers going back 5 years of your last date of working. I had one veteran not tell me he was laid off from a company 4 ½ years before his PTSD got the better of him. Now it is well over a year waiting for the IU. If I knew in the first place it would have been done now.

If you have the “bad boy reports" good you will need to send them in with the form on your employment. Talk to the past employers to let them know the VA will be calling them about you and your PTSD and the reports. Also see if he will write you a letter, this will help speed things up.

You will need to send in the letters your doctor did for you, this will help in the PTSD increase. Yes you will be given a new C&P for your PTSD. You cannot “man up’ in the C&P. this is what causes many veterans to get a lower rating. If you feel like you’re about to cry, then cry if you feel anger then show it. Do not hide your feeling.

Well, my C & P went well, but I was DENIED for my hearing loss & tinnitus. What they said was they couldn't see a S/C for my claim. Crap, it was the biggest blast EVER on an American base. You might have heard of the Cam Ranh Bay attack. Blew our ammo dumps sky high. 2 am ...what a time to fight! August 25, 1971.

At this point, I am going ahead with my FDC. It can't get any worse and I have nothing to lose. I have my Psych. letters both of them. explaining my inability to work or even hold part time work. I have my form from my employer already signed and I am waiting for a decision on my SSDI.

Only time will tell......

Best of luck to all.

Snookster