VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Upgrades Coming....again

Rate this question

USMC5811

Question

Being that it is Friday....I went on ebenefits to check to see if there has been any movement on my or my husbands claim - nope. Noticed they have it posted that the site will be down this Sunday for upgrades....I really need to get a life because I'm actually looking forward to seeing what this upgrade does - hope it's nothing like the last one - which stressed more then a few people out:)

On a side note...I got a response from an IRIS I sent. The cut and paste answer that they sent of course did not answer my question at all...not even in the ballpark. I swear they don't even read them - just assume a vet is asking where their claim is in the process. I did not ask that question at all - but they answered where my claim was.....ie., the normal time in this phase is usually 137 - you have been in that phase for over 400 days - too bad for you:P

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Eeeesh......not another upgrade. I'm still waiting on an IRIS status question I sent last weekend.

I did take some folks' advice and call the Case Management number in Washington D.C. to see if I could get some "straight talk". I called a few mornings ago, and the phone was answered by a gentleman who informed me that I was calling the Washington D.C. office, and that they did not have the staff aviable for routine claim status calls.

He further added that I should have used the 1-800 number because "everybody is subject to using this number". I apologized for bothering him, and then sighed and told me he would look up my claim. I gave him the information, and he put me on hold for a couple of minutes and then returned and told me pretty much the same standard wording that I could get from Peggy. Then he told me that I would have gotten the same information from the 1-800 number.

I apologized once again, and told him that I was hoping to talk to a human voice without waiting an hour on hold, or to be told they will schedule a call days into the future. He sternly informed me that this is the system, and that this number is only for situations where a Veteran is having true troubles. He also told me that I should probably use my VSO.

No real new insight, nothing sped up, but worth a try I guess. He was professional but stern and obviously annoyed. I can't complain, but I guess I won't try that again.

Oh well.....at least I can also enjoy seeing what new adventures the ePeggy upgrade will bring......

Mark

I have a feeling they were overwhelmed with calls, after the number was posted which might account for his attitude. I was hoping they would be able to at least give those over the two year mark a little more insight then the 1-800 number. I hope they at least continue to help those vets that are in financial need/homeless or close to it and our older vets (I'm no spring chicken).

I have a feeling after this update that everyone will see their "estimated date of completion" dates change - has anyone's dates ever been right?

On a side note I was researching something and came across this link to see the backlog of claims for one's particular Regional Office - it's updated weekly.

http://www.baycitizen.org/veterans/interactive/map-disabled-vets-stuck-backlog-limbo/?utm_source=BayCitizen&utm_medium=social_media&utm_campaign=tumblr

Edited by USMC5811

In a way I hate that I posted the Washington D.C. #. As was said, it was meant to help only vets in dire situations ie; hardship cases, homelessness etc. And Washington did help me that first time.

Would be helpful if the programming department at the VA thoroughly tested their work it always amazes me the differinces between the private sector way of doing things and the governmental approach for instance having formally before my disability have been a senoir programmer anayst as well project manangement and team leads if we ever released an application update that well falls flat on its face with mistakes the ceos and upper echelon would have a ...fit. One rule of thumb they ignore perhaps because of percieved job security is the fact that no one well remember that your application is working but that they will remember how erronous the data (information) was displayed thus degrading the reliability of the system they should have never released the app for prime time until they thoroughly tested and stress tested it + you need a team of testers mimicking real time use. Because the ole it worked when we tested it is never exceptable in the private sector.

Just food for thought

Edited by ComputerGeek46

I have a feeling they were overwhelmed with calls, after the number was posted which might account for his attitude. I was hoping they would be able to at least give those over the two year mark a little more insight then the 1-800 number. I hope they at least continue to help those vets that are in financial need/homeless or close to it and our older vets (I'm no spring chicken).

I have a feeling after this update that everyone will see their "estimated date of completion" dates change - has anyone's dates ever been right?

On a side note I was researching something and came across this link to see the backlog of claims for one's particular Regional Office - it's updated weekly.

http://www.baycitizen.org/veterans/interactive/map-disabled-vets-stuck-backlog-limbo/?utm_source=BayCitizen&utm_medium=social_media&utm_campaign=tumblr

Yeah, I felt kind of guilty for calling the number about midway through my conversation with him. I will say that he at least saved me an hour or waiting for Peggy to answer, so that was a plus. These days with cell phones, an hour of minutes wasted is the same, even with a 1-800 number.

I think the Washington people, at least in his department, may honestly think that this 1-800 and eBenefits system is sufficient for handling the load of calls.

In regards to the estimted completion dates question, no, mine has never been correct, and the last two dates posted show that it should have been completed in July, and then in August. So I don't count on them very much. I do like to console myself in thinking they are similar to a float valve in that as the level goes up or down, so does the completion date, until everything stops and settles and it pinpoints in on a certain area. I know that it's probably not correct, but helps me to rationalize the weird fluctuations. And I also know there are probably others that have completed their claims and are already collecting compensation who may still show an incorrect completion date on ePeggy. However, it's the state of denial I choose to live in.

Mark

Not sure if this is new but I just noticed today that one can change and update their dependent information now via ebenefits.......everything is running really slow right now - at least for me - when browsing around in there. If that was added, with the ability to upload documents to verify dependents (birth certificates, marriage certificates) it is definitely a plus if it actually works. Was just curious as to the "updates" that were made....