VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

With Regards To An Ongoing Claim

Rate this question

CCC

Question

Mornin', y'all. Have another question. :)

We are in the middle of a claim for several issues that we feel are service connected. During our research, and with the help of an amazing person here, we have found another couple of issues that we want to request SC for.

Should I wait until the current claim is resolved with the VA? Or can I go ahead and submit the new medical issues as well?

My husband told a VA rep a couple of months ago that we had a significant amount of research to present to the VA wiht regards to his SC, and the VA rep said, "Aw, just hold on to it. You don't want to muddle up the process right now. It'll just bog it down even more." mellow.png I didn't listen very well, because it sounded like a bunch of hooey, and yet another VA rep that didn't want to do their job.

I actually called a few months ago to request a complete copy of his SMRs, and the rep actually told me, "Well, if we give his SMRs to you, how will we process his claim? We need the paperwork ourselves." I swear, sometimes I wonder where they get these people. I've found when you get people like that, it's best to just hang up and call back and get someone with half a brain. Even though you have to hold for ANOTHER 40 minutes (or longer), at least you have the chance to get someone who isn't a complete idiot.

Anyway, sorry I drifted. Would it be OK to go ahead and submit the evidence for the new illnesses we feel are SC, or should we wait until the current claim is finished? If I have my preference, and it doesn't really affect anything, I'd like to go ahead and submit the evidence for the new claim. It takes so long to get anything done with the VA, and I'd hate to have to wait a year or 2 (or more) just to submit my new information.

Thanks again.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I agree with Berta, but even more strongly so. Any delay of the Veteran in filing a claim, will result in reduced retro via the effective date.

So, I say to this. "How much retro do you want to lose so that your claim "MIGHT" be processed faster? I say "might" be faster for good reason.

Remember, if your claim file is at the bottom of a pile somewhere and you add another claim to it, someone needs to dig your claim out of that pile if only to put another condition in it. I say they are unlikely to put it back at the bottom of the pile, but to set it on top, instead. Not always, but it is sure possible.

I further think if the VA wants to delay your claim, they will find a way..and they do, too. If adding another condition "delays" your claim, so can any or all of these things::

....sending in evidence...

....attending a C and P exam....

....asking for a copy of your c file...

....sending in a 21-4138

....adding or subtracting dependents...

....seeking help from your congress critter..

....or even inquiring as to the status...

I have an IRIS email from 2007 where the VA promised an answer in 4-6 weeks (my claim had been in Roanoke, and then Roanoke sent it to my VARO). Two years later, I got a decision.

Two months times 100% is almost 6 grand. You can figure out how much retro you will be giving up. I dont know what your percentages will be, but you can figure out how much you will lose also. Just look up what you are hoping to get and multiply it by 2. This would be the amount you would lose if, indeed, they complete your claim in 2 months.

Remember this, too. Ok..lets say you wait the proverbial two months. You get your decision. If its denied, then are you gonna wait another 4.4 years for the BVA to get done also? (Veterans for common sense says it takes 4.4 years from RO decision to BVA decision. It includes your NOD, SOC, etc etc. )

Its actually worse to have claims at your RO and claims pending the BVA....that will really slow you down. I am not saying you will get denied...I have no way of knowing that. But, I have had 6 RO decisions and only one of 6 was really favorable. The other ones were denials. one lowball, and one awards of zero percent, almost the same thing. I would say that 1 out of 6 awards at the RO office is typical. That means 5 out of six are denied.

My father used to give me advice, and some times I took it, sometimes not. When I did not take his advice, he said, "Ok..learn the hard way, then..its up to you."

My experiences on waiting on the VA is an exercise in futility.

Edited by broncovet