VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Va Press Release On Claims

Berta

Question

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/

Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

VA Completes Over 1 Million Compensation Claims in 2012

September 20, 2012

<a href="http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/docs/Claims.docx">Printable Version

Need Viewer Software?

Production at Historic Levels as Veterans Benefits Administration Transforms Claims Process

WASHINGTON – The Department of Veterans Affairs announced today that the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA), which oversees the delivery of disability compensation and other benefits to the nation’s Veterans, processed over one million disability claims during fiscal year 2012, marking the third year in row VBA claims processors have exceeded the one million mark.

“We have made great strides, but we realize much work remains to be done to better serve Veterans,” said Undersecretary for Benefits Allison A. Hickey. “Too many Veterans still wait too long. That’s unacceptable, and that is why VA has begun implementing a paperless, digital disability claims system– a lasting solution that will transform how we operate and eliminate the claims backlog.”

In August, VA had its most productive claims processing period in its history, completing a record 107,462 claims and surpassing the previous monthly record of 103,296 set in 2010. This high level of production is accompanied by an increase in the overall accuracy of rating decisions, which has risen from 83 to 86 percent since September 2011, as determined by VA’s national quality assurance program.

While claims production is at historic highs, incoming disability claims have increased nearly 50 percent since 2008, outpacing VA’s current claims processing capacity.

“Our employees are working very hard to sustain this level of production,” said Hickey. “This is a testament to their dedication to meeting the increasing needs of our Veterans.”

VA’s goal is to process all disability claims within 125 days, at a 98 percent accuracy level, and eliminate the claims backlog in 2015.

This year, VBA is beginning a nationwide organizational transformation to increase its claims decision output by retooling procedures and deploying paperless data systems that will speed claims processing and improve quality. All 56 VBA regional offices will be operating under the new organizational model by the end of 2013.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

Now remember everyone, every FOIA request, putting the 18 YO back on the award, after they illegally removed him, that special correspondence with your congressional liasion. They are all "claims" and in this 1 Million number.

The paperless claims process is going to fix it all, but don't be bothered that a simple database over at the Board of Veterans Appeals hasn't worked in over a month and has never allowed access to the 2012 decisions. You also shouldn't be bothered about the quality of information over on eBenefits, just because that data store may list key pieces of information incorrectly (says i am in receipt of pension not compensation). Tells me that BVA has made a decision when the file has never been transferred. Tells me three appeals are pending decision with the board and tells me to contact them, when again they have never been certified or transferred. It invites me to dowload a copy of the eBenefits form that was submitted to put the 18 YO back on the award, but then errors out and says no file available. I can upload and download with NIH, NSF and GRANTS.GOV, so I doubt it is my machine or network.

We thought the NPRC fire was an overused excuse, just wait until the new and improved "the data base dumped and we need all your evidence again" becomes the new norm.

SARCASM ON Yep this new system is going to remove the backlog by 2015, what they arn't telling you is December 31, 2014 they are going to dump the system and it all will be gone! Not one pending claim SARCASM OFF

You made the same point I did, in a letter I sent to Secretary Shinseki.

Of course I dont expect a reply from him but I do expect a reply from VACO.

If not,I will contact the House Veterans Affairs Committee about it.

In part I stated:

"You want the VA to go 'paperless', a daunting but important goal."

Then I rattled off my email contacts with the BVA ombudsman ,since October 2010, and the results of a phone call I made to the BVA on July 24,2012.

and added:

"Prior to the July 24,2012 response I received from 'Diane' the BVA ombudsman in email, I had also called the BVA that AM, and was told that a “contractor' has to 'fix' the site problem.

If a 'contractor' for the VA has to 'fix' these types of 'paperless' problems, and has been unable so far to properly 'fix' the BVA web site problem, how can the VA intend to go paperless with any assurance that problems like this fairly simple one will not occur?"

I am very concerned about all this. So is Dr. Bash who uses the BVA site too.

As I mentioned to him, the BVA decisions are one thing, but VA medical and treatments records are another far more serious concern I have.

When the H VAC discussed the IT paperless VA years ago, I dont recall if they included any backup plans for any unexpected loss of computerized information.

I sang this song before here a few times- and will again....

NOW is the time to get your spouses up to speed on the internet. Many libraries have PC courses that are not too involved and are free.

I dont know how any survivor of a SC vet would possibly develop a DIC claim without the internet in some cases.

I have met widows who have done that, but in each of their claims situations, they had enough evidence to succeed anyhow. And some had Vet reps who helped them.

If any of you have started a Death File, make sure it not only holds your DD 214 and your claims stuff, make sure it has www.hadit.com and your hadit password in a prominent place in the file as your survivor could even use your password in event of your death, to come here and find what he or she needs to know.

On that one million number, in the press release ,it does show that claims are being filed as fast as claims have been adjudicated.

A major reason to get your evidence to the VA ASAP .

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/

In August, VA had its most productive claims processing period in its history, completing a record 107,462 claims and surpassing the previous monthly record of 103,296 set in 2010.

This high level of production is accompanied by an increase in the overall accuracy of rating decisions,

which has risen from 83 to 86 percent since September 2011, as determined by VA’s national quality assurance program.

VA’s goal is to process all disability claims within 125 days, at a 98 percent accuracy level,

and eliminate the claims backlog in 2015.

Oh gosh - reading the parts above almost made me pee my pants.

Wow, if they stay on track and keep this up and reach the 2015 goal of 98 percent accuracy,

the unemployment percentage in DC will skyrocket !

No more need for our useless black-hole called the AMC - Poof - gone - good !

No more need for BVA - hell the VARO's can just re-adjudicate that minor 2 percent of inaccuracy's,

absolutely no problem. What a dream someone is having !

And most surely no need for the CAVC . . . .

I think Lucy dropped some acid in my coffee, cause' I'm trippin'

Lucy didn't give me acid

This is just bullsheet for the public and it's not going to trip me up.

I love green eggs and ham I do . . .

but no kool-aid for me - no sir --eeeeeeee.

JMHO

I guess the VA media and politicians must think that all Vets have amnesia! I remember Shinseki's promise to break the backlog THIS YEAR (2010):

http://www.legion.or...g-will-end-year

Most people dont beleive he will "break" it by 2015 either.

Maybe Shinseki meant he was going to "break" the BVA website! That they did! At first, just the 2012 decisions wouldnt work, now the whole thing is haywire.

They are long on promises, short on results.

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)

You guys and ladies are so right, peeing on our backs and saying it's raining with a beautiful blue sky. Thanks for your inputs, I enjoy your writing everyday.