VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Pay For Ptsd

Rate this question

Slowlane

Question

I applied for PTSD in 1999 and was denied. Reapplied in 2000 and denied again and told to never contact them again.

I applied again in 2010 (ten years later) and was awarded 30% from the 2010 date.

Can I file for the lost 10 years??? Thanx, Slowlane

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

In order to get a significant EED there usually must be a CUE or lost service record that is found to justify going back to a final decision and revising it to pay years of retro. I believe there are lots of old decisions that could contain errors that would justify an EED or grant.

John is right. The "top 2" ways for Veterans to be awarded an earlier effective date are probably CUE and 3.156 C, New Service records. But there are others, you dont want to overlook, either, such as:

1. Pending claim doctrine. When the VA fails to adjuticate a claim, that claim remains pending and the Veteran is free to submit evidence to support it, even 10 years or more later.

2. "Claim to reopen".

3. Informal/inferred claims.

4. Veteran did not receive a notice he can appeal and his appeal rights, with the decision.

5. New and material evidence.

6. Changes in laws or regulations.

7. Nehmer claims have special rules for effective dates. If you are a "Nehmer" claimant, you can ask the NVLSP and they will review your claim to see if you are eligible for an EED for free. http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/ArticleLibrary/AgentOrange/AO-VABeginsReview.htm

These are a few reasons why you should take your claim to a competent VA lawyer to see if he can find something that would entitle you to an EED.

I applied for PTSD in 1999 and was denied. Reapplied in 2000 and denied again and told to never contact them again.

I applied again in 2010 (ten years later) and was awarded 30% from the 2010 date.

Can I file for the lost 10 years??? Thanx, Slowlane

Please post the Reasons and Bases for the decision.