VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hiding Va Allotment

COOL BREEZE

i am wondering what or how is the best way to hide your VA Disability pay from the bank. If you get sued, your bank with all your money is frozen. Any way to have your pay transferred automatically to a different source under the radar?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to be very difficult for a creditor to garnish monies you received from Va compensation. The IRS or child support may be able to do so, but for the rest of the creditors, you should be able to notify your bank that this account is from VA compensation and regular creditors wont be able to garnish it. JMHO and Im not a lawyer.

Well, for 1 thing, the VA money is one of multiple acounts that get deposited.Therefore the bank doesn't know this. And you can no longer as I recall get your VA check as a check. I believe only direct deposit.

I guess if they were to do this, you would have to get an court order for them unfreeze your account. And I think they can't (creditors) garnish your military or social security payments as well. Since my wife quit working, the joke will be on them. I saved the house from foreclosure a few years ago, but all the other bills are winding up with numerous law suits. With the wisdom I learned in filing claims, I Pro Se myself on legal issues.

I used to be quite active on this site, now all my energy is all on court summons and legal matters 24 hours a day.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom

Banks are now required to protect an amount up to 2 months of exempt funds in any account. These funds cannot be frozen or garnished. Alimony, child support, debts to the government aren't included in the protection. Also, the can be a "set off" when the funds are in a bank to which you owe money. Here is a full explanation.

http://www.fms.treas.gov/greenbook/guidelines_garnish0311.pdf

http://www.nclc.org/images/pdf/conferences_and_webinars/webinar_trainings/presentations/2011/social_security_new_rules_and_protections.pdf

You can have your compensations deposited in a government run debit card program. Here is that program:

http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/payments/

Thanks for that information!! I see they can't garnish a military retirement pension before it hits the bank(contact military retirement pay). However once it is in your bank account, it looks like they can. I found a way around this though. You can have an allotment sent up to pay your mortgage or car payment-it will never touch a bank-too bad. So it you have multiple allotments going into your bank account, and one of them is your VA pension for 2,000-they can't touch that amount even if there is only a few hundred in there. And of course in my state you are allowed a few hundred dollars before being garnished. So, garnishment isn't what it is anymore.

Si in my legal situation-I can tell them go ahead, you ain't getting Nada!!