VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Insomnia Secondary To Tinnitus

Rate this question

Two Echo

Question

Need some advice on two subjects; I want to run this past you guys before I fill. I don't want to fill a claim with little chance of winning just to make the backlog even longer.

My first question is, can Insomnia be linked to Tinnitus? As soon as I got back from Iraq I couldn't sleep because of my Tinnitus. The Tinnitus was obviously untreatable, but while on active duty I was placed on Ambien. Soon thereafter I came off active duty. I was awarded 10% for the Tinnitus which got me into the VA system. Since I've been treated for the last year at the VA I spent 4 months on Ambien, and have recently switched to Trazadone. I mean even with the fans blowing and the TV on softly I can still hear it, and its driving me crazy, Luckily, because of the medications I'm able to atleast get 4 or 5 hours of sleep before the ringing wakes me up.

Does this sound like a valid claim that I have a chance of winning, because I don't want to fish for percentages. All I know is I never had problems sleeping until the Tinnitus came about. I had problems sleeping overseas because of it, and have had it since I came back in 09.

-----

Second question is about Hypertension. I was awarded 10%. Back then I had a history of increasing dosages of the same medication, Lisinopril. A year after my rating, I'm on Lisinopril plus Propranolol (perscribed by the VA) to keep things under control. With these medications I'm within normal ranges, but without them my numbers hit the 20% mark. Do I stand a chance to get a 10% increase?

-----

Finally, do either of these have a chance, or should I hold off? I don't want to contribute to the backlog for claims that will eventually be denied.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Second question is about Hypertension. I was awarded 10%. Back then I had a history of increasing dosages of the same medication, Lisinopril. A year after my rating, I'm on Lisinopril plus Propranolol (perscribed by the VA) to keep things under control. With these medications I'm within normal ranges, but without them my numbers hit the 20% mark. Do I stand a chance to get a 10% increase?

Also, does this justify a worsening of the condition?

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know the ratings they give for high blood pressure but the amount of medication may come into play.

Keep and eye on Lisinopril the VA likes to give it cause it is cheap but many develop a hacking dry cough from it and need to find something else. The VA has me written up as allergic to Lisnopril so they no longer give it to me.