VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agoraphobia

Rate this topic

Guest Jim S.

Guest Jim S.

Stiff waiting on the slow claims process, but now for the past year, I have increasingly found myself not wanting to leave my house, I mamage to go out to check my mail, but I am down to one or two times a week, and only when I'm down to my last bbit of food. I've managed to combined my visits to the VA Hosptial and shopping, but this past week I missed a much needed visit to my psychiatrist.

I don't seem to get all panicey, but I can't bring myself to go outside sometimes, some days are just more difficult than others. I can't even discribed the feeling I have when I manage to go outside, even when it's just to the mailbox.

Anyway, how do those who have Agoraphobia deal with it?

Jim S. B)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim S.

From what you described ... you are agoraphobic and it can be real tough on you too.

Do you have an animal ... like Pete does ... when he takes his dog with him ???

From my experience ... animals are great.

I have an African Grey Parrot ... and he is kind of hard to take with me on short trips. .... But, a dog would be great for that.

-----------o----------

Agorphobia is in my VAMC records back to 1998 ... do they have an additional rating for that .. in addition to PTSD ???

Just curious ... one time I was told yes ... then later ... told no ???? ... :blink:

I am 100% PTSD, 40% back injuries and 10% skin rash & small schrapnel ... all sch & P&T.

There are more things that I can file on ... but have never done so.

Just curious on this Agoraphobia .... since it is secondary to the PTSD ?????

Thanks ...

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

PS ... Once you get to 100% .... my SO could care less on ANY other VA claim you have ... period. ... B)

PPS ... Why does it always say on the left ... "New To This Board" ... when I have been here since 1999 ?? ... :blink:

• HadIt.com Elder

I am housebound some months of the year. When depression kicks my butt, I have zero social confidence. During these times, I fear leaving the house becuase I am apt to experience a panic attack. Just thinking about (remembering) having a panic attack (in public) makes me anxious; the anxiety causes a panic attack: vicious circle. I am not ready to file for housebound status because I'm not ready to give up the independece I have at other times. Being agorophobic is usually associated with a panic disorder.

• HadIt.com Elder

Adora:

I know the feeling ... and it is so difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced it.

Is there a separate rating for .. "agoraphobia" .. when it is secondary to PTSD ????

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

• HadIt.com Elder

Bill

I know that you can get housebound for agoraphobia. If it is part of your diagnsis I think you and I could both get it. I have agoraphobia and panic disorder in my rating. I have never gone for it because I am TDIU and I would have to be reevaluated to be bumped up to 100% schedular. A friend who was 70% applied for housebound and they bumped him up to 100% and gave him housebound for agoraphobia. For someone who is already 100% it might not be that hard to do.