VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Claim Dro Versus Traditional Appeal Process?

Rate this question

LILS

Question

Hello Gurus,

I received a letter from the VA stating they received my NOD & they wanted to know if I wanted to have a Decision Review Officer assigned to my NOD or use the Traditional Appeal Process. Does anyone know if one is better than the other or does it even matter that much? Will one process take longer than the other? Any suggestions? Or pros/cons for each one? I have 60 days to let them know if I want a DRO assigned. If I don't let them know anything, they would automatically use the Traditional Process. THANKS!!!

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Gurus,

I received a letter from the VA stating they received my NOD & they wanted to know if I wanted to have a Decision Review Officer assigned to my NOD or use the Traditional Appeal Process. Does anyone know if one is better than the other or does it even matter that much? Will one process take longer than the other? Any suggestions? Or pros/cons for each one? I have 60 days to let them know if I want a DRO assigned. If I don't let them know anything, they would automatically use the Traditional Process. THANKS!!!

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html

Thank you! Good info here. My only other questions are: Do I write them a letter telling them which one I want or is there a form I need to fill out. It doesn't mention what to do, except let them know which one. They attached a VA Form 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim) to the letter. Is this what they're expecting me to write on saying which process I want? They didn't mention the form at all. It is just attached. huh.png

It takes longer but personally I tell them I

want a hearing scheduled in person with a DRO

at the earliest date possible.

I do this on a 21-4138.

Without a hearing it will be a DRO review of the evidence of record

and possibly anything else you submit.

You might want to study more at the link below, in regards to

Hearings and Appeals.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/M21_1MR1.asp

JMHO

There are a lot of differing opinions on this but I personally wanted my appeal out of the VARO as fast as possible. But that was my own opinion.

The following is lengthy but may be helpful in letting you make an informed decision, one way or the other.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/590/585481.html

There are a lot of differing opinions on this but I personally wanted my appeal out of the VARO as fast as possible. But that was my own opinion.

The following is lengthy but may be helpful in letting you make an informed decision, one way or the other.

http://www.gao.gov/a...590/585481.html

Thank you for this. I actually read almost all of it, except the statistics from each VA office. It was VERY informative. It does put a whole new light on everything, since the letter the VA sends after an NOD DOES NOT allow a real informed decision. I will share this with my husband since he just retired also & will prob be going through the same things I'm going thru. I can definitely see why there are differing opinions on this, but with this article, its easier to make a more informed decision. Thanks again! EXCELLENT