VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Presumtive Gi Bleed

Rate this question

Fred Bear

Question

I just recently got out of the hospital for emergency surgery on my bowels. I had to have 15" of my colon removed because of a bleed. I ended up with a costomy bag that the Dr feels he can reverse in about 6 months. Because this came out of the blue and the Dr could not figure out what caused this I started to do a little research and quickly came across the Gulf War presumptive conditions and one of them is GI problems.

On to my questions -

1. Because this is presumptive and I did serve in the Gulf War do I automaticly rate a VA dissability?

2. Should it be code 7333 and @ 100% because I do have a colostomy bag?

3. If reversed, what would my rating be at that point?

any info would be appreciated. In either a positve or negative direction. I am currently rated at 40% because of a back condition and a severed thumb.

another question is, my medical bills, Because this was an emergency and not VA connected I went to the civilian hospital. If rated by the VA are any of my medical bills covered?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am sc for meckels diverticulum and was in the gulf. I was denied, but got my va doctor to review my strs and write a statement that my meckels symptoms were likely than not the same stomach problems I had in service. I bled out six mos after service and had six inches cut out. I then had my gallbladder taken out a month later. Now I suffer from and am sc for post cholecystectomy syndrome complicated by meckels diverticulum. Again not due to gulf as rsdawg said because it wasn't functional. Try if you want. Everyone is entitled to file. Just giving you the facts first ( prior post with regs).

Jmho

T8r

There is some research being conducted that indicates an association between IBS and Diverticulitis. The link below is one of them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2857983/

I did a quick scan on causes of Diverticulitis, low fiber, and hydration problems show up on the list. you need to have a sit down with your doctor and talk about this. MREs are considered low fiber content. The Government is responsible for what you were fed. Especially while deployed on active duty in a war zone.

An argument can be made, but if you file without doctors statements you will be denied.

Best regards,