VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Would The Diagnostic Code Be For Barretts Esophagus ?

Rate this question

roses15534

Question

I have a few questions What would the diagnostic code be for barretts esophagus?

then when I was doing some researh and reading over my last c&p exam the doctor had in it that I was diagnosed with migrains and ibs from what I remember and could find in my records I never was but i do take meds prescribed for both from VA so do I have a case here?

what would the dc be for ibs as well?

I also am having some anxiety and panic attacks but did not have them in service but feel it is from the gulf war and have never said anything about it to VA but my private doctor has me on meds for it.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have GERD which progressed to Barretts esophagus. i also had EGD showing Hiatal Hernia. The literature supports that chronic indigestion +reflux, can lead to GERD. Untreated GERD leads to Barretts E which is tissue dysplia in the esophagus. I dont know the answer you need but should be found in the Gastrointestinal section. I was once told it is GERD I should be filing for not Barretts. I hope you get EGD q 2 years if you do have Barretts. Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

While you are dealing with VA on this issue I strongly recommend that you take medicine to curb the acid reflux. It is very important and Barrets can lead to the point that you are unable to swally food without having a coughing fit.

My advice is get the treatment while you sort out the claim.

C'mon folks ... we're not talking rocket surgery here.

What would the diagnostic code be for barretts esophagus? As you noted, there is no discrete Diagnostic Code (DC) for Barrett's Esophagus (or, esophagitis). In that case, you'd look within the Rating Schedule for a DC that matches the symptoms. As a start, I'd suggest DC 7346 at 38 CFR 4.114 http://www.benefits....ART4/S4_114.DOC .

what would the dc be for ibs as well? Try DC 7319 at the above link. Also, please read the intro at the way top.

I was doing some researh and reading over my last c&p exam the doctor had in it that I was diagnosed with migrains and ibs from what I remember and could find in my records I never was but i do take meds prescribed for both from VA so do I have a case here? Please correct me if I have misread anything you wrote .... I think I understand that you have a current diagnosis of migraine headaches as well as irritable bowel syndrome, correct? You don't recall any treatments for nor found any mentions of either condition in your SMRs, correct? However, during a recent CP&E, the examiner mentions both diagnoses as being current parts of your composite health history, correct?

If I correctly understand what you wrote, I don't see that you have a case for service connection for either migraines or IBS (based on what you wrote). The facts that you are receiving treatment for both (from the VA), and both diagnoses were merely mentioned by a VA examiner, does not automatically mean that they can be service connected.

I have a few questions What would the diagnostic code be for barretts esophagus?

then when I was doing some researh and reading over my last c&p exam the doctor had in it that I was diagnosed with migrains and ibs from what I remember and could find in my records I never was but i do take meds prescribed for both from VA so do I have a case here?

I also am having some anxiety and panic attacks but did not have them in service but feel it is from the gulf war and have never said anything about it to VA but my private doctor has me on meds for it.

C'mon folks ... we're not talking rocket surgery here.

What would the diagnostic code be for barretts esophagus? As you noted, there is no discrete Diagnostic Code (DC) for Barrett's Esophagus (or, esophagitis). In that case, you'd look within the Rating Schedule for a DC that matches the symptoms. As a start, I'd suggest DC 7346 at 38 CFR 4.114 http://www.benefits....ART4/S4_114.DOC .

what would the dc be for ibs as well? Try DC 7319 at the above link. Also, please read the intro at the way top.

I was doing some researh and reading over my last c&p exam the doctor had in it that I was diagnosed with migrains and ibs from what I remember and could find in my records I never was but i do take meds prescribed for both from VA so do I have a case here? Please correct me if I have misread anything you wrote .... I think I understand that you have a current diagnosis of migraine headaches as well as irritable bowel syndrome, correct? You don't recall any treatments for nor found any mentions of either condition in your SMRs, correct? However, during a recent CP&E, the examiner mentions both diagnoses as being current parts of your composite health history, correct?

If I correctly understand what you wrote, I don't see that you have a case for service connection for either migraines or IBS (based on what you wrote). The facts that you are receiving treatment for both (from the VA), and both diagnoses were merely mentioned by a VA examiner, does not automatically mean that they can be service connected.