VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Additional Evidence Do I Need For My Claim To Be Successful?

Rate this question

willidx4

Question

What additional evidence do I need for my claim to be successful?

I was denied a PTSD claim back in 2005. I was in the Gulf and served in the grunts in a combat zone. I was diagnosed with PTSD by a Psychiatrist (private Doctor) in 2005 my GAF score was a 43. The VA needless to say stated I didn't have PTSD according to the VA Psychologist that did my 30 minute C&P exam I had a severe personality disorder and in her notes she gave me a GAF score of 38. I never filed a NOD at the time I just wanted to be done with the VA after reading the C&P examiners notes I was basically called a scam artist. I filed again for PTSD in August 2012 and was diagnosed again by the same private Doctor what other material evidence do I need to make sure my claim is successful

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Willidx4 you might try describing your symptoms to your PCP (assuming you go to a VA facility).

Try asking for a referral to see a MH DR. That may get the ball rolling. Good luck to you.

VetswifeIndy

I agree with both... Get scheduled to see a VA mental health physician. They will prescribe medications if need be and schedule you for appts. There are other programs and classes that I attend in my out-patient clinic that are very helpful also. The Va Medical center also offers programs like trauma recovery program (TRP), classes on anger mgmt etc. I also got a letter from my treating psychiatrist to submit on my claim. But just remember....DON't miss your appointments. Good Luck to You!

Thanks folks I feel better about the direction Im going in now. I have a current Dx of PTSD and Major Depression from a private Psychiatrist and that evidence has been submitted to the VA. I still see my private Psychiatrist once a month and I have contacted a local vet center to make arrangements to attend some group counseling sessions once a week. I went to my Regional Office and requested to be seen by a MH doctor and was informed my income disqualified me from being seen. I have been prescribed Wellbutrin SR, Klonopin and Remeron by my private Psychiatrist

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a DX from a local Vet's Center "PTSD: chronic & severe" The VA just ignored that DX and went with a very old DX to grant TDIU. Since the VA has made themselves the sole power to DX PTSD in veterans if I could not get the VA to dx me with PTSD I would get an IMO to DX me with either depression,Panic or GAD. This way you side step the PTSD roadblock. It all boils down to the same thing.

I got a DX from a local Vet's Center "PTSD: chronic & severe" The VA just ignored that DX and went with a very old DX to grant TDIU. Since the VA has made themselves the sole power to DX PTSD in veterans if I could not get the VA to dx me with PTSD I would get an IMO to DX me with either depression,Panic or GAD. This way you side step the PTSD roadblock. It all boils down to the same thing.

Thanks for the advice John999 are you saying rather than fight the VA on the PTSD issue I should get another Doc and get a dx of GAD? I had no idea they boiled down to the same thing in terms of compensation.