VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental... Can I Request Another Appt At A Mtf?

Rate this question

limes

Question

Yesterday I had my dental c&p exam. I went to a civilian dentist with a practice out in town. In service I had jaw surgery, I have titanium plates in my face, and have significant TMJ and problems now, and have periodic numbness in my face when I cough/sneeze. After moving my jaw around and measuring, giving me a headache that lasted the rest of my day, he said he was "unsure" my surgery caused my pain/TMJ, though he admitted to feeling the popping and clicking whenever I moved my jaw. I tried to tell him about my sinus infections and he brushed it off, I have had three in less than 6 months. Is there anyway to get another exam, beyond just appealing when the decision letter comes back? I have zero hope from the feedback he gave me during my appointment, and he did not even address the fact I have plates in my face.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Did you have a claim for your sinus condition? If so that exam is different from a dental exam. Otherwise, you would have to claim the sinus infections as secondary to the TMJ.

• HadIt.com Elder

Regarding the pain from the TMJ surgery I think you need an IMO from a local dentist. I have TMJ and it used to be very painful. That was why I went to a dentist. For the VA dentist to say that he is "unsure" about your TMJ surgery being the cause of your pain is just a usual dodge the VA doctors use to avoid responsibility.

If your service medical records document you were diagnosed and treated for a TMJ disorder, it should be straight forward to be granted a sc disability rating. The % depends on the measurements. Did the dentist perform at least three sets of measurements, including one after you had been exercising your jaw muscles for a couple of minutes? Sinus issues can't be secondarily connected to TMJ disorders. There is no scientific basis to connect the two disorders.