VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• 2023-foeum-banner.jpg

• red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

Ask Your VA Claims QuestionThe LatestVeterans Crisis Line

red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

• Get Your HadIt.com Merch! Check them out here2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Is Retro Pay Calculated?

SolInvictus

Question

Hello family, I have a general question regarding retro pay. How is it calculated? Do they pay the vet the difference of the combined rating of his total claim, or is each individual claim assessed on its own merits and compensated back to the date it was originally claimed? I'm confused because suppose a vet was at 70% combined. Then files a claim or reopened a claim for PTSD and tbi. This vet had been previously denied service connection for these two. Then he is awarded 100% sc. Now will the retro compensate him for the difference between the combined previous rating of 70% and the new 100% combined rate? Or would he be retro paid for each individual claim, that is to say PTSD and tbi separate and distinct from the total. Now in my math compensating him for each individual claim sounds like a much more favorable outcome that using the total sum formula because the former adds up to significantly more, I'm just not so sure the va pseudo math works the same way. As always, I appreciate and am grateful for all educated and generous input.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello family, I have a general question regarding retro pay. How is it calculated? Do they pay the vet the difference of the combined rating of his total claim, or is each individual claim assessed on its own merits and compensated back to the date it was originally claimed? I'm confused because suppose a vet was at 70% combined. Then files a claim or reopened a claim for PTSD and tbi. This vet had been previously denied service connection for these two. Then he is awarded 100% sc. Now will the retro compensate him for the difference between the combined previous rating of 70% and the new 100% combined rate? Or would he be retro paid for each individual claim, that is to say PTSD and tbi separate and distinct from the total. Now in my math compensating him for each individual claim sounds like a much more favorable outcome that using the total sum formula because the former adds up to significantly more, I'm just not so sure the va pseudo math works the same way. As always, I appreciate and am grateful for all educated and generous input.

You get the new combined rate from the date of the award, less whatever you've been paid at the old rate.

pr

Appreciate your prompt assistance PR and I thought that might be the type of pseudo math the va would prefer. So how would they then calculate a retro if you win a claim after you reach 100% bracket. I mean wouldn't they in essence be compensating you for the individual new claim you won? Or have they invented a new math for that scenario as well? Thanks again PR.

PR is correct.

Retro is often very hard to calculate. You have to check the rates for each applicable year. Then, when kids become age 18, the "come off". And, as Philip pointed out, you have to deduct the amount paid each month.

You have to figure each month individually and then add them up.

Your retro will begin the month AFTER the effective date.

The effective date will be the later of the "facts found", the date you applied, or the whim of the regional office decision maker, which ever is later.

PR is correct.

Retro is often very hard to calculate. You have to check the rates for each applicable year. Then, when kids become age 18, the "come off". And, as Philip pointed out, you have to deduct the amount paid each month.

You have to figure each month individually and then add them up.

Your retro will begin the month AFTER the effective date.

The effective date will be the later of the "facts found", the date you applied, or the whim of the regional office decision maker, which ever is later.

So in effect the house wins regardless right. Heads they win tails we lose. And all a poor vet can do is pray and take solace in the idea that his brothers before him have been dealt a similar hand, and probably will be for ages to come. Thanks Broncovet and PR, for staying in the fight to serve as a lighthouse of knowledge for those in peril in these treacherous seas.

Yep. The "house" has the advantage. There is significant financial incentive built into the system for the VA to delay you.

First, they never pay interest. Next, you may well abandon your claim. You may also die before you get benefits.

Even if you persist and appeal and win, you always lose your interest on your money, so the Va gets an interest free loan from disabled Veterans.

Until such time that this "financial incentive" for the VA to delay you, it will continue.

It is like a contractor who gets paid by the hour, no matter how long the job takes...and then gets constant raises for inflation. Why should he finish the job? Then he would just have to try to find another one..and there may not be one.

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)

Yep. The "house" has the advantage. There is significant financial incentive built into the system for the VA to delay you.

First, they never pay interest. Next, you may well abandon your claim. You may also die before you get benefits.

Even if you persist and appeal and win, you always lose your interest on your money, so the Va gets an interest free loan from disabled Veterans.

Until such time that this "financial incentive" for the VA to delay you, it will continue.

It is like a contractor who gets paid by the hour, no matter how long the job takes...and then gets constant raises for inflation. Why should he finish the job? Then he would just have to try to find another one..and there may not be one.

That makes all the sense in the world when you look at it through that lense. So it isn't at all unreasonable for them to pepertually fail in their "strenuous efforts" to fix the flaws in the system. Why work yourself out of a very lucrative job right.

Correct.

It never ceases to amaze me how the VA is able to get 278,000 VA employees paid on time, every payday,without delay, when there are a million Veterans who are not getting paid yet, because their paperwork hasnt been processed yet. The Vets sometimes experience 10 years or longer delays, while VA employees get paid within hours of when its expected.

Correct.

It never ceases to amaze me how the VA is able to get 278,000 VA employees paid on time, every payday,without delay, when there are a million Veterans who are not getting paid yet, because their paperwork hasnt been processed yet. The Vets sometimes experience 10 years or longer delays, while VA employees get paid within hours of when its expected.

And I suppose the reason we can't bring this Ponzi scheme to a grinding halt is that they are highly organized with strategically placed advocates in high places while we the victims whose money it really is have a fraction of their organization and even less of their political clout. This also explains why the only ones among us that they permit to reach the 100% bracket and thus have the leisure to sit back, analyze and organize to combat this injustice are they worn and broken in spirit. It's like a dominant colonial power who ensures the preservation of the status quo by divide, conquer and selectively curbing of the male fighting offspring of the victimized nation. What a scheme.