VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Letter

Rate this question

Whirly Bird

Question

Hi all. I'm filing a claim for ptsd and my wife wrote the following letter to submit. Please take a look at it and let me know if I'm missing anything. I have a ptsd diagnosis, verified combat award, and notes from the va psych linking them together. Do I need anything else?

thanks,

To whom it may concern,

I am filing a claim for service connection of PTSD.

I have been diagnosed to have combat-related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) by a VA Psychologist, and I am currently undergoing treatment for the disorder at the VA Medical Center. The VA Psychologist has linked my PTSD to my combat related stressors.

I served in combat as a Marine Helicopter Machine Gunner, and was awarded the Combat Aircrew Insignia with 3 bronze stars. I was also awarded the Air Medal with 2 Strike Flight Awards for these missions.

My original DD-214 did not have the Combat Aircrew Insignia listed on it when I was discharged, so I contacted the Navy Personnel Command Retired Records Section and requested that the Combat Aircrew Insignia be added to my DD-214.

I recently received a corrected DD-215 that has the Combat Aircrew Insignia with 3 Bronze Stars added to my record. I have attached a copy of it as evidence for my claim.

I have also attached a copy of M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, 1.D.13.e, which states that my award of the Combat Aircrew Insignia qualifies as proof of my combat experience.

I have also attached a copy of M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, 1.D.13.f, which states that If a Veteran received one of the combat decorations cited in “e”, but does not expressly state the nature of the stressor, the VA should assume that the stressor is combat-related.

I have been having nightmares & panic attacks 3 to 4 times a week for years since returning from the war. I can’t stand to be in crowds of people. Before the war, I was very outgoing and had many friends, but I now have very few, if any “real” friends (besides my buddies that were over there with me), and I stay at home most of the time when I’m not at work and avoid all social events. I have trouble getting along with others at home and at work. I am always on alert, always... I constantly have this weird feeling that something bad is going to happen, even though I know that it isn’t rational to think this way. This disorder has severely affected my social and work life.

Thank you,

xxxx

Edited by Whirly Bird

WB - Everyone here has given you solid advice, plus it is obvious that you have done much work preparing your claim. Good for you brother. I was wondering what RO you are going through if you don't mind posting it? Hope you know by now that here at Hadit you are among many friends with much in common. Like you, I flew as a crew member in OIF/OEF and I totally can relate to what you experienced behind the gun. Small world...isn't it?

Thank you for your service Devil Dog!

SEMPER FI,

LC

I spent time as a Gunner in OIF/OEF too, as I was Aviation Logistics my whole career. Funny thing is that in my 9 years, I was never with Navy, always with Army in OIF and Marines in OEF, Lol! I was called an NCO my last 7 years in the Navy

Thanks for all the replies folks. Can't wait to see what the C&P notes say. I also had the C&P for Sleep Apnea as secondary to the PTSD and that Doc was also very helpful. We'll see....Hopefully the results will be on ebenefits in a few days.

Loose Cannon- the RO is St Louis.

Will update as I get word...

I just went to go try and print my C&P exam notes and this is all that is there:

Mr. XXX drove himself to the appointment and was unaccompanied to the

evaluation. He was seen by this practitioner as a part of a Compensation and

Pension examination, and a report will be issued in CAPRI using the DBQ format.

Does this mean that my C&P notes will not be available to me via blue button? or is CAPRI the same

system that I go to when I hit the blue button, and it just hasn't shown up yet?

thanks.

Edited by Whirly Bird

Was it performed at a VAMC or did they contract the exam out to QTC? Every C&P exam I've gone to was done by a private doc through QTC. When QTC did mine, they were very reluctant to provide me a copy even after it was received by the VA This may not apply in your situation). In my case, I wanted to see the exam results and, since the VA was unwilling to help, I wound up having to file a FOI (Freedom of Information) Request. Hope you don't have to go through all that just to get a copy of yours.

I believe you are referring to the MyHealtheVet website when you mentioned the "blue button." In that case, I'd give the doc no more than 10 days to submit his report to the VA before I started to get impatient. I believe private docs have up to 30 days to submit their reports to the VA. They usually do it pretty fast- The sooner they submit, the sooner they get paid from the VA.

As far as all the gobbly-gook that talks of CAPRI...I'd be guessing so maybe others can offer advice on that. I'd stay as far away from eBenefits as possible until the official "all clear" has been sounded. Wednesday night they had a serious security breach where personal info, ssn's, doctor's notes, financial info, etc. was released in error. It's being investigated now so you'll have to stay tuned like many here are for updates. As usual, the VA is not releasing much and minimizing our damage.

Good luck bro. Your case sounds like it's moving along well.

LC