Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
Sign in to follow this  
carlie

Jamie Miller - Needs Quick Help For Dad

Question

Hello, I am not a vet, but I am a vet’s daughter! My father was recently diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. He is disabled and was exposed to agent orange… We have a c-boc? (local clinic) here in our home town, but unfortunately we have had to drive to many surrounding areas for scans and treatments options, the VA has referred out radiation treatment but we are having lots of trouble getting the chemo referred .. locally same office where VA referred us for radiation. I have been told there is a process to all of this..need to wait on paper work need to wait on referrals, but my father has been suffering for months!!! we have had diagnosis for 3 months and still have not begun treatment. The mass that is taking over his lung has grown 3 cm since first CT scan. Doctors say we can’t start one treatment without the other. I watching my father suffer…. Why? Because of paper work?.. lack of communication between clinics, doesn’t really matter why there is such a lack in timely effective treatment. What matters is there is a good man (my father) is fighting for his life and he doesn’t seem to have the( service connections) needed to receive efficient medical care.. if anyone has any information that could help us it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jamie Miller

4 answers to this question

Welcome,

I am moving your post to the AO forum for more eyes to

see it and try to provide some help.

Ad

Looking for some quick help and answers.

Jamie,

I'm sorry your father isn't the treatment he deserves and wish I knew more how to help.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease" is often accurate. Be squeaky (but polite) and escalate the issue to higher levels.

I would start by going to Patient Advocate and give them a short time before going to Hospital Administrator, Inspector General and the media.

Ensure everything contains names, dates, times, info discussed, promises made versus what actually happened and ask "What should I do if (this action) doesn't happen by (this date)?

I've had more minor cancer issues advance due to VA operating procedures and backlog and it has cost me skin and grief. There is no reason for veterans to accept substandard treatment in light of the statements made by our political leaders about how great they're taking care of us.

In other words, RAISE SOME HELL!

Good on ya for lookin out for Papa smile.png

Edited by Notorious Kelly

I would not wait on the va to pay for chemo. I would do whatever I had to do (short of breaking the law), beg, borrow, sell stuff to get him started right away. 3cm growth in 3 months is a lot. Time is critical.

does he/you/family/friends have any assets to pay for the chemo? credit cards? local charity? hold a golf tournament for his benefit. call the drug manufacturer and see if they have a program for those that cannot pay or are waiting on the VA.

I know this does not help you with the VA but sometimes you have to take things into your own hands. This is one of those times.