VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Dependent With Special Needs

Rate this question

Whirly Bird

Question

Hi folks. I wasn't sure where to post this question. I hope this area is ok.

I have a 2 week old daughter who was born with Down Syndrome and several serious heart defects. She is going to require allot of special care.

I have submitted a claim to add her to my comp as a dependent (I'm 70% sc), but was wondering if there are any other benefits that I might qualify for from the VA?

Adding her as a dependent is $53 extra a month, but I'm hoping there might be other benefits available like aid and attendance or

something to that affect?

I checked with Social Security for SSI for her, but evidently we make too much money to qualify for that. Seems most of us get to work and pay for the programs, but we don't get to use them when we need them.

Can anybody help me? BTW, this little girl already has her daddy wrapped around her little finger. She is a little Doll!

Edited by Whirly Bird

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Based on the underwhelming response you've received, you've probably guessed that there aren't any additional immediate benefits available from the VA.

This is what I see for the future:

Your best bet for immediate assistance, support or information is with your city/county/state disability commission/office.

WRT Social Security, you're prolly already familiar with this site http://www.ssa.gov/p...0026.html#a0=-1 ... but mebbe not. In any event, you are aware that your current resources bar your daughter from SSI. While this is perhaps far in the future, she will become eligible for SSI in her own right upon reaching age 18. In the unfortunate event that you pass, your daughter will become eligible for Survivor's Benefits http://www.ssa.gov/s.../onyourown4.htm ; if your spouse qualified for benefits on her own, the same applies. When either you or your spouse start receiving SS benefits, whether the normal age-based or because of disability, your daughter also qualifies for SSDI if over age 18..

The SS site mentions that even though your daughter may not qualify for SSI, Medicaid may be available. Sumpin' to check on.

WRT the VA ... if you pass from a service connected condition, your daughter would likely be eligible for Dependents Indemnity Compensation (DIC) as an incapacitated child.

On your on part, I suggest life insurance.

I had a cousin who had Trisomy 21 with many of the associated health problems ... but he prolly was the nicest individual I've ever met. He passed away 5ish years back, in his mid-60s.

Hi folks. I wasn't sure where to post this question. I hope this area is ok.

I have a 2 week old daughter who was born with Down Syndrome and several serious heart defects. She is going to require allot of special care.

I have submitted a claim to add her to my comp as a dependent (I'm 70% sc), but was wondering if there are any other benefits that I might qualify for from the VA?

Adding her as a dependent is $53 extra a month, but I'm hoping there might be other benefits available like aid and attendance or

something to that affect?

I checked with Social Security for SSI for her, but evidently we make too much money to qualify for that. Seems most of us get to work and pay for the programs, but we don't get to use them when we need them.

Can anybody help me? BTW, this little girl already has her daddy wrapped around her little finger. She is a little Doll!

If you can get to 100% or IU it changes the equation....

See a VSO if you are already 70%.

Yep, I'm considering the IU route. If I could get IU P&T, the champva would take care of allot of her medical needs. The Chapter 35 bennies would also be a huge help for my other two kids.

I was just diagnosed with combat related PTSD, so I'm gonna put in a claim for that first and see where I end up percentage wise and go from there.