VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Hypertension And Agent Orange

Kray

Question

I hope I have posted this question in the proper location and provided enough information to get an answer to this question.

I am rated 30% disability and receiving benefits for IHD (CAD) with stents and brachytherapy for Agent Orange from serving in Vietnam. Now I have been diagnosed with Hypertension. Will this qualify as a condition to CAD, secondary to Agent Orange or not.

Thank You

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

Hi Ken, I just had a stent put in and I have not filed yet. I am waiting to have a meeting with my heart Dr. BTW how many stents do you have? I was a grunt (11B) on the ground in VN. and I was in the rubber plantations and hobo woods. any way good luck with your claim.

I had three stents total. One of the stents failed twice and they had to do a procedure called brachytherapy which provides radiation to stent area to kill scar tissue. All of this was done in 2001. I filed in October 2010 and was finally approved in July 2012 for 30%. They have not ruled on any of my other issues since they are not on the list for AO. I was stationed at a Radar Site at Monkey Mountain near Da Nang.

Good luck on your claim.

Ken

To get sc for your hypertension asecondary to you IHD you need a nexus connecting the hypertension to you IHD. Where you may run into a problem is that hypertension usually proceeds IHD.

Ihad orders to that radar site in '71 but they got canceled due to my father being in Vietnam, instead they sent to Korat Thailand where I worked on the perimeter where I was exposed to AO.

Rick

To get sc for your hypertension asecondary to you IHD you need a nexus connecting the hypertension to you IHD. Where you may run into a problem is that hypertension usually proceeds IHD.

Ihad orders to that radar site in '71 but they got canceled due to my father being in Vietnam, instead they sent to Korat Thailand where I worked on the perimeter where I was exposed to AO.

Rick

All of these ruling and procedures are very confusing and very difficult to understand.

My IHD disease had been in place since 2001 and Hypertension occurred long after that so do not know if that provides the "Nexus" that seems to be required. Anyway Hypertension was not on my list when I submitted my first claim in Oct 2010 but I mailed it today to include it since they have not ruled on anything except the IHD.

I have been unable to obtain any military heath records after requesting them three times. Each time Military Records Managment state that the VA has them and the VA says they do not have them. It appears that someone is hiding them as I sure can't get them.

Many thanks to all of you on this forum for providing information.

Hi Kray

My husband is 70% AO for IHD, DMtype 2,PAD, ED. He put in a claim for hypertension along with his initial claim(also dx'd after the IHD like you) and although his BP readings would have qualified him for further compensation, AO is not presumptive for hypertension and since there was no other SC nexus, he was denied.

I asked both his cardiologist and his internist if, in their opinion, his hypertension was related to his IHD and they both said no.

Here's keeping our fingers crossed that you get a different ruling.

Lorraine

Thanks for your reply. From eveything I read now, mine will be also denied. Of course you never know what will happen in the future. I did not apply for CAD in 2001 when it first happened and as a result I missed out on lots of back money, some nine years. I also had Pancreatic Cancer in 2005 which is not covered by Agent Orange but you never know down the road what may happen.

Thanks to all that share information on this great forum. It has been a learning experience.

I was initially awarded 30% for IHD based on my AO exam. I'd had a heart attack followed by stent emplacement. My cardio records showed a diagnosis of IHD. My records also showed that at the time of my heart attack I had hypertension, though I was not being treated for it.

I'm told that you can be diagnosed with CAD and not have IHD.

I'd filed for IHD and secondary hypertension. My hypertension determination was deferred pending further evidence. The VA asked me for evidence that hypertension existed from military service. The VA also stated that my military medical records did not indicate that I had hypertension in service.

I had several disabilities including IHD and hypertension under review and did not attempt to specifically link my hypertension to my time in service.

I was later allowed hypertension at 0% secondary to DMII. I'm not sure why it was switched from IHD to DMII. My final award was 100% so I didn't go back and question it.

I hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it hard to get HBP linked to DMII. I have HBP and AO induced DMII? The HBP came after the DMII. I also have CAD linked to AO at 60%. I just want the VA to pay for my funeral when I die. It is the least they can do since they killed me one way or the other unless I get hit by a beer truck.