VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Depression C&p

Rate this question

jdman

Question

I have a diagnosis for Major Depression and currently rated at 30%. I have a C&P in the next month for an increase to my depression. I have 3 different doctors diagnosed me with this. My VA Psychiatrist who is treating me has me with a GAF of 50 on the last visit. 2 IMO doctors have me with GAF's of 30 and 35. When I review all of the compensation ratings I fall in the 70% to 100% categories. When I go to the C&P do I need to provide anything to the C&P Examiner? Any advice on a Depression C&P exam?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I have a diagnosis for Major Depression and currently rated at 30%. I have a C&P in the next month for an increase to my depression. I have 3 different doctors diagnosed me with this. My VA Psychiatrist who is treating me has me with a GAF of 50 on the last visit. 2 IMO doctors have me with GAF's of 30 and 35. When I review all of the compensation ratings I fall in the 70% to 100% categories. When I go to the C&P do I need to provide anything to the C&P Examiner? Any advice on a Depression C&P exam?

Just show up and present yourself as you usually are.

The best advice I got was to think of the

worst day you've had in the last couple of

months & relate that to the Doc. Be honest.

When asked how you are don't respond with

the usual good greeting. Tell the doc about

any stress or anxiety you are feeling about

your appointment. Keep your answers as

short as possible. Don't ramble on about

problems you've had in your childhood.

Don't talk much about alcohol or drug

abuse. Just try to relate your problems

as well as you can. There are no right

or wrong answers. Be honest & try to

explain all your problems with relationships,

work etc. Good luck to you.

Bob K

• HadIt.com Elder

You were fine before the military. During and after the military you became depressed. Steer clear of questions about your childhood, high school, drug abuse or anything that could be used to try and paint you as a personality disorder.

First of all, thank you for your service. I went through this and won. Important is that when the doctor asks "How are you" you DO NOT reply with OK or Fine.Tell them you are depressed or feeling down etc.As previuosly posted steer away from Family questions.If asked state that you had a normal childhood, good parents, did well in school and had healthy friends and relationships.Make sure to mention the changes in your personality and moods from prior to the military to present.Mention any changes caused by the MDD such as personal relationships, trouble with spouse and extended family.Make sure you have a list of all drugs that have been prescribed and taken and any changes you and your VA psych have made in said drugs.Also include any drugs given for sleep issues( insomnia, nightmares ) as these tie into Depression.Problems with work, being late, missing a lot of work and frequent job changes, trouble with the law.Try to not include any substance abuse problems (alchol, drug abuse).If there is a marked event that ties in with it or it is in conjunction with PTSD be sure to inform doc about these instances and your reaction to them.You should do fine.I went in with a average GAF score of 45 from my VA Psyc and was examined by a VA contract doctor and came out with a GAF score of 35.Went from Disapproved claim to 70% for PTSD/MDD..................Good luck and hope all comes out well for you.........................Grid

"Make sure you have a list of all drugs that have been prescribed and taken and any changes you and your VA psych have made in said drugs.Also include any drugs given for sleep issues( insomnia, nightmares ) as these tie into Depression.Problems with work, being late, missing a lot of work and frequent job changes, trouble with the law."

This is why I asked about the medications. They will use it as a measure of the severity, as well as increases in dosages over a period of time