VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Therapy Dog For Mst

Question

I was wondering if anyone uses a therapy dog for their MST? Because of the anxiety, panic attacks, and other symptoms that go along with my PTSD/MST, I work from home. I have never been a "dog" person - I am a "cat" person; however, my daughter dropped off her 6-month old puppy with me last year and moved overseas.

I gradually got used to the dog - she's a mixed hound dog - extremely large and extremely friendly.

I now find that I am very dependent upon this dog. She follows me throughout the house and lays down by me as I work.

I am finding that she is extremely comforting to me. she alerts when someone comes to the door and seems to know when I am more depressed or anxious than usual.

I am finding that when I do have to leave the house, I don't feel comfortable unless she is with me.

My question is, will the VA recognize her as my therapy dog?

What do I have to do?

thank you in advance.

8 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Another way you may get it is use the ILP Independent Living Program in Voc Rehab. They are much more flexible than the VA but it is a journey. I suspect that eventually the VA will allow Service Dogs for MST and other mental disorders.

Good Luck

I have acquired and trained three dogs to assist me. You can even join associations that can help and also provide paperwork.

This is an old thread, but the question of service dogs comes up in many circles that I travel. There are many service dog groups out there that are designated for Veterans. For instance, in Michigan there is Stiggy's Dogs. The provide the service dog for the Vet at no cost. The dogs are generally resuces that have been evalusted to meet the temperment for a service dog. All that the Veteran needs to show is a signed form from a medical doctor showing the diagnosis of PTSD. Regardless of the source of the PTSD. So for those who have the same question, look around in your area by searching "service dogs for veterans" in your State.

We have an "emotional support dog" that the VA doctor signed a prescription and signed letter for us to have him. We registered him as an ESD and we currently have his ID badge and vest. He is allowed in our apartment w/o any pet fees and he can fly with us as long as we get permission in advance. He is also allowed at all hotels w/o any fees. He is a great companion for us!

We have an "emotional support dog" that the VA doctor signed a prescription and signed letter for us to have him. We registered him as an ESD and we currently have his ID badge and vest. He is allowed in our apartment w/o any pet fees and he can fly with us as long as we get permission in advance. He is also allowed at all hotels w/o any fees. He is a great companion for us!

That's great news.

Just as an FYI - VA no longer takes financial responsibility for service animals due to a

mental health condition.

From what I remember in the most recent change is that the service animal must be for

mobility, sight and or sound. Also- the VA placed very strict criteria to what companies / organization's,

can certify a service animal for VA financial responsibility purposes.

Under the right conditions and requirements being met for service animals, VA will take financial

responsibility for veterinarian care and food for the service animal.

Hope this helps a vet.

Correct Carlie;

The VA is not taking financial responsibility b/c he is not a Service Dog but rather an ESD. The cause is still just as important I believe. All the Vet has to do is contact their PCP and request that they allow the ESD for them.

We are truly grateful and our dog is wonderful, loving and so supportive to us in our time of need :)

• Like 1