VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I served in the Persian Gulf during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/ Myofascial syndrome by two seperate nurse practioners one of them being my primary care provider and the other in the pain clinic. My primary care provider filled out a Disability Benefits Questionnaire where she stated by pain was not responding to treatment and that her opinion that it was least as likely as not related to my service in the Persian Gulf and exposure to possible environmental causes. I have filed a claim with my VSO and still waiting on a decision. My primary care provider has completed all the blood work to rule out other causes such as arthritis. I have been referrred to neurology and rheumatolgy but have been denied to be seen as they tell me to be treated for chronic pain in response to the referrals.

Has anyone else who served in the Persian Gulf claimed fibromyalgia as a presumptive illness and been granted service connection. I am trying to gain information in case my claim gets denied. Any help would be appreciated.

That's great news flyfisher. I have a Fibro DX @0% which was given in a C&P exam. My next visit to my C&P I'm going to ask for treatment protocols. It's taken 3 years have something other to show him other than I'm just getting older.

I'm a 27 y/o male, OIF veteran who was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I also apparently seem to be suffering from classic gulf-war illness symptoms. I've had chronic IBS, fibromyalgia, fatigue, memory and cognitive dysfunction, etc. I'm going to submit a fully developed claim once I get all of the medical records in order. I am already service connected, totaling 80%. I am having trouble maintaining employment and although I am attending school, I am having to take less and less classes to ensure that I am not failing on top of my health problems.

I wonder why they are trying to establish a firm cut off date so desert storm vets cant file. what do they know that we dont.

Do you wake up in the morning and feel like all of your muscles are stiff and hard to get out of bed and walk? nothing seems to move like it should, like a rubber band that is really strained. Sometimes I have to stretch my ankles and legs out before I can even get out of bed in the morning, then its baby steps and hunched over shuffling to the coffee pot. It takes me a good hour before I can even get my socks on in the morning. My shoulders, neck, back , knees and feet hurt like a dull but steady pain. Over the years it has gotten progressively worse. Also alot of cracking and popping in my joints, and I cant turn my neck more than abt 10 o clock to 2 o clock from the 12 o clock position. frequent weather changes seem to affect me dramatically as far as the pain. I joke with my wife about getting some zirk fittings installed so I can grease my stiff joints.

I wonder why they are trying to establish a firm cut off date so desert storm vets cant file. what do they know that we dont.

Expiration dates? Morbidity rates likely as to conclude direct connections maybe. I don't know it is very difficult to tell. Your guess is as good as mine, what has me curious is the genetic changes in peoples bodies, cells, and possibly DNA. Don't think me silly as I am dead serious. Too many reports and analytical studies come to similar conclusions.

Do you wake up in the morning and feel like all of your muscles are stiff and hard to get out of bed and walk? nothing seems to move like it should, like a rubber band that is really strained. Sometimes I have to stretch my ankles and legs out before I can even get out of bed in the morning, then its baby steps and hunched over shuffling to the coffee pot. It takes me a good hour before I can even get my socks on in the morning. My shoulders, neck, back , knees and feet hurt like a dull but steady pain. Over the years it has gotten progressively worse. Also alot of cracking and popping in my joints, and I cant turn my neck more than abt 10 o clock to 2 o clock from the 12 o clock position. frequent weather changes seem to affect me dramatically as far as the pain. I joke with my wife about getting some zirk fittings installed so I can grease my stiff joints.

That's mine to a T. I equate the muscle pain to those times when you used to work out. The couple of days after soreness. Only it's all over. Any weather changes make it worse the the damp cold is brutal. I got a hot tub a few years ago after I discovered its effectiveness. It only helps the pain for a few hours though.