VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I served in the Persian Gulf during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/ Myofascial syndrome by two seperate nurse practioners one of them being my primary care provider and the other in the pain clinic. My primary care provider filled out a Disability Benefits Questionnaire where she stated by pain was not responding to treatment and that her opinion that it was least as likely as not related to my service in the Persian Gulf and exposure to possible environmental causes. I have filed a claim with my VSO and still waiting on a decision. My primary care provider has completed all the blood work to rule out other causes such as arthritis. I have been referrred to neurology and rheumatolgy but have been denied to be seen as they tell me to be treated for chronic pain in response to the referrals.

Has anyone else who served in the Persian Gulf claimed fibromyalgia as a presumptive illness and been granted service connection. I am trying to gain information in case my claim gets denied. Any help would be appreciated.

I am with you Sierra. Great description of the problems I have. Fortunately my wife insisted on getting a Jacuzzi tub, several years ago. Hot baths do give some temporary relief, unfortunately it doesn't last long enough.

I have been maxed out on 3200mg of Gabapentin, 800 mg times a day with no results. We also have a hot tube and that's where I get most of my relief. But Just last month my med's doctor prescribed me Venlafaxine. It is an anti-depressant just like Cymbalta and Lyrica. After slowly getting it in the system I started having some relief. Not only with CFS and FM but my headaches have been tapering off. I was in disbelief at first but man it has been working.

Might ask your doctor about it.

I went through the "puzzle, piece by piece" starting in '08. In Dec. of this year my primary care Dr. finally referred me to a Rheumatologist and after reviewing my private med. history and doing a bunch of blood work he officially diagnosed me with Fibro. I am a pain med. addict (recovering, and clean for 7 years now) so I had the Rheumatologist rule out the pain meds right off the bat.

I did the Gabapentin, it didn't work at all except to add to my lack of mental focus and add a new level of headaches.

Now I am only taking 2000 IUs of vitamin d and 1000 mg of magnesium, and to be honest it kicks ass. This treatment really moderates my "normal" daily pain and drops the pain level from 4s and 5s down to 2s and 3s, but does absolutely nothing for levels over 5. Again I will not take any narcotics so I have to suffer the bad flare-ups and like most of you all, cold and/or wet weather and lack of sleep seem to set those off. I haven't applied for disability yet because it hurts my brain (to much information and I tend to obsess over details) but I am working on it. My biggest battle now is getting a Dr. to help with my sleep issues because neither my primary or my Rheumatologist want to treat me for it and both have referred me to a Psychologist but my insurance won't cover it and I ain't made of money ($249.00 for an office visit). I had a really bad flare up last week because of lack of sleep and went to my primary Dr. and literally begged her to give me some Ambian or anything else to help me sleep but she wouldn't. OBTW, my primary Dr. put me on Vyvanse, 50 mg. 1 once a day to help with the "fibro fog" issue and it really, really helps.

I went through the "puzzle, piece by piece" starting in '08. In Dec. of this year my primary care Dr. finally referred me to a Rheumatologist and after reviewing my private med. history and doing a bunch of blood work he officially diagnosed me with Fibro. I am a pain med. addict (recovering, and clean for 7 years now) so I had the Rheumatologist rule out the pain meds right off the bat.

I did the Gabapentin, it didn't work at all except to add to my lack of mental focus and add a new level of headaches.

Now I am only taking 2000 IUs of vitamin d and 1000 mg of magnesium, and to be honest it kicks ass. This treatment really moderates my "normal" daily pain and drops the pain level from 4s and 5s down to 2s and 3s, but does absolutely nothing for levels over 5. Again I will not take any narcotics so I have to suffer the bad flare-ups and like most of you all, cold and/or wet weather and lack of sleep seem to set those off. I haven't applied for disability yet because it hurts my brain (to much information and I tend to obsess over details) but I am working on it. My biggest battle now is getting a Dr. to help with my sleep issues because neither my primary or my Rheumatologist want to treat me for it and both have referred me to a Psychologist but my insurance won't cover it and I ain't made of money ($249.00 for an office visit). I had a really bad flare up last week because of lack of sleep and went to my primary Dr. and literally begged her to give me some Ambian or anything else to help me sleep but she wouldn't. OBTW, my primary Dr. put me on Vyvanse, 50 mg. 1 once a day to help with the "fibro fog" issue and it really, really helps.

Did you have any treatment while in service? Or did you serve in the Gulf at any time. I have a letter prepared for a claim if you need it. You could alter it to your needs.