VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stessor Verification Without Jsrrc?

Rate this question

SigBnSoldier

Question

This is my first post in hadit, but I've been reading for nearly a year, thank you for your wisdom!

I've faced a lot of criticism for having a non combat ptsd claim on a different site, so I'll briefly qualify my circumstances in order to get help.

I was stationed in Germany, 1990-1992. During a field exercise, at night, while in uniform, there was a large explosion near my AO at the training area, it was a German civilian transport truck and a small passenger car that had wrecked and caught fire on the nearby autobahn. I along with several other soldiers rushed to the scene and rescued the driver of the truck, and tried unsuccessfully to pull out his passenger before it went up in flames. The passenger didn't make it, and I can't forget the scene and the hopelessness of standing by...

Within a few weeks I started experiencing nightmares, anxiety, panic attacks. I was under the naive assumption that PTSD was only for combat veterans until about a year ago, when I was at the VA clinic in my town to see the mental health. The Psch diagnosed me with PTSD non combat, and encouraged me to file a claim.

To digress, I was diagnosed bipolar at the VA in 2002 also with a previous history of suicide attempts a year and a half after discharge. I was discharged (ETS) honorably in 1996. First suicide attempt was 18 months after. I have many similar diagnosis of bipolar, one of "reaction psychosis", and a depression diagnosis all through VA and inpatient for bipolar/suicidal ideation. I was awarded SSDI in 2003.

Having filled you in, here are my questions-

Do these many diagnosis other than PTSD, after discharge, completely negate this new diagnosis of PTSD?

Second question, I have had a heck of a time gathering proof of my stressor. So far I've submitted a German newspaper article and two eyewitness buddy statements, as well as two family statements and all my post discharge medical history. I've written to the JSRRC, they claim no record of my Signal Battalion in Germany was ever turned in. My brigade and battalion were inactivated in 2007. I have ran into dead ends in finding unit reports of the incident. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to search for S-3 reports or Staff Duty journals, so that I can send the VA further proof of my stressor?

Thank you for reading my thread and for your help!

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I disagree. I believe the VA's new criteria for PTSD will be tested in court, inasmuch as they are the only ones that can diagnose PTSD, for vets claims. I believe the VA has ordered their staff not to diagnose PTSD but rather use anxiety or some other disorder, instead. jmo

pr

So then, with an anxiety NOS or other such diagnosis, you would then need in service proof of treatment, correct? That I do not have.

This is kind of complicated to write so I hope I can convey it clearly.

Both my diagnosis through the VA are PTSD and Bipolar, as well as some various MDD and axis 2 personality mixed things. This is over 12 years of VA treatment. I was denied a bipolar claim in 2004 for lack of evidence of in service treatment.

When my claim moved to the Gathering Evidence phase a few months ago, my PTSD was changed by the VSR to include the previously denied bipolar contention and was reclassified as "Chronic psychiatric disorder to include PTSD and Bipolar disorder" without me asking.

So, pondering this whole bipolar thing, which I know I am, but not all that clear on which symptoms are bipolar or which are ptsd, it's all very confusing to me, all I know is I just experience a whole lot of terrible stuff. Anyway, I had gotten a complete copy of all my LES's a few months ago. There is a pattern of "debt" as in wild spending at PX's and other places where DFAS garnished my pay. There are three instances of this in my 6 years of LES's. There's also an emergency leave I took about six months before I got out, I had told my platoon sergeant that my ex fiance's dad was sick, when really I was on a pretty bad manic tear and was afraid of getting caught as a mental case. Also a company grade article 15 for underage drinking, but that predated my stressor event by a year. Could the onset my bipolar have made me more vulnerable to my stressor?

Could any of this LES information help the bipolar portion that the VARO added to my claim? It's also part of my VCAA notice, says, "We need evidence that your previously denied condition of bipolar disorder from military to now... (Paraphrasing)

Is all this too confusing? Am I grasping at straws? Damnit! My psych problems DID start in the army, I'm having such a hard time proving it, it's really frustrating. What are you supposed to do when you were desperately afraid of being found out for being mental and you hid it as best you could. I always thought I'd get kicked out if I got help.

any advice on these questions would be awesome. You guys/gals have been excellent with advice so far, thank you in advance on this one too!

Edited by SigBnSoldier

Thank you Dot09.

I'll put in a privacy act request with the Huntington RO for a copy of my QTC exam. I have no idea what the examiner really wrote. I'm thinking I won't get a copy till the claim is rated but will start gathering all my evidence for an IMO to submit with the NOD/appeal I expect I'll be needing to file. Thank you much. I'll revisit this thread when I get rated and post an update.

Hi everyone. I received an entire copy of my c-file yesterday, about 1000 pages or more.

Here's my PTSD exam, it shocked me how favorable it was, my anxiety plagued mind had very worried... Can any of you help me understand the comments at the end of the exam, is the examiner connecting my Bipolar diagnosis to my stressor? And is that enough for service connection? Or is the bipolar going to really mess things up since there is no in service diagnosis or treatment in my SMR's? Help me with this one please!

1. Does the veteran have a diagnosis of ptsd that conforms- Yes

Axis 1
Diagnosis #1- PTSD
Diagnosis #2- Bipolar Disorder NOS
Diagnosis #3- Alcohol Dependence and Full Sustained Remission
Axis2 None
Axis 3- Graves Disease, asthma, high cholesterol, and migraine headaches by report
Axis 4 Exposure to trauma, unemployment and financial stress
Axis 5 GAF 45
Is it possible to differentiate what symptoms are attributable to each diagnosis? Yes
The following is attributed to ptsd- nightmares, irritability, panic, and anxiety///////The following are attributed to bipolar-- manic episodes, reduced need for sleep, and severe depressive episodes.
TBI? NO
Occupational and social impairment with dificiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations judgement, thinking and mood
The occupational and social impairment attributable to PTSD includes irritability and episodes of panic and anxiety making it difficult for him to effectively interact with others.
The occupational and social impairment attributable to Bipolar includes manic episodes which impair his ability to concentrate and episodes of sever depression which tend to reduce his motivation and increase his desire to isolate and withdraw from others
Stressors-
Does this stressor meet Criterion A- Yes
Criterion A- 2 checks
Criterion B- 4 checks
Criterion C- 4 checks
Criterion D- 3 checks
Criterion E- 1 check (The duration of the symptoms described above is more than one month
Criterion F- The ptsd symptoms cause significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
Symptoms-
Depressed mood
anxiety
panic attacks that occur weekly or less often
chronic sleep impairment
disturbances of motivation and mood
difficulty in adaptimng to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting
inability to estabilsih and maintain effective relationships
suicidal ideation
obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities
neglect of personal appearance
intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene
Remarks-
The multiple axis 1 diagnoses are related and the secondary diagnosis is a progression of the primary diagnosis because the claimant used alcohol to self medicate in an attempt to cope with symptoms of PTSD. The Bipolar disorder was exacerbated by the traumatic event and subsequent PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that the bipolar is co-morbid with the PTSD which just makes both conditions worse. I think you will get your PTSD rating. The C&P exam doctor says it is possible to separate bipolar from the ptsd.