VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stessor Verification Without Jsrrc?

Rate this question

SigBnSoldier

Question

This is my first post in hadit, but I've been reading for nearly a year, thank you for your wisdom!

I've faced a lot of criticism for having a non combat ptsd claim on a different site, so I'll briefly qualify my circumstances in order to get help.

I was stationed in Germany, 1990-1992. During a field exercise, at night, while in uniform, there was a large explosion near my AO at the training area, it was a German civilian transport truck and a small passenger car that had wrecked and caught fire on the nearby autobahn. I along with several other soldiers rushed to the scene and rescued the driver of the truck, and tried unsuccessfully to pull out his passenger before it went up in flames. The passenger didn't make it, and I can't forget the scene and the hopelessness of standing by...

Within a few weeks I started experiencing nightmares, anxiety, panic attacks. I was under the naive assumption that PTSD was only for combat veterans until about a year ago, when I was at the VA clinic in my town to see the mental health. The Psch diagnosed me with PTSD non combat, and encouraged me to file a claim.

To digress, I was diagnosed bipolar at the VA in 2002 also with a previous history of suicide attempts a year and a half after discharge. I was discharged (ETS) honorably in 1996. First suicide attempt was 18 months after. I have many similar diagnosis of bipolar, one of "reaction psychosis", and a depression diagnosis all through VA and inpatient for bipolar/suicidal ideation. I was awarded SSDI in 2003.

Having filled you in, here are my questions-

Do these many diagnosis other than PTSD, after discharge, completely negate this new diagnosis of PTSD?

Second question, I have had a heck of a time gathering proof of my stressor. So far I've submitted a German newspaper article and two eyewitness buddy statements, as well as two family statements and all my post discharge medical history. I've written to the JSRRC, they claim no record of my Signal Battalion in Germany was ever turned in. My brigade and battalion were inactivated in 2007. I have ran into dead ends in finding unit reports of the incident. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to search for S-3 reports or Staff Duty journals, so that I can send the VA further proof of my stressor?

Thank you for reading my thread and for your help!

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good luck with your claim, but as a Vietnam combat vet surviving many terrifying events I personally think your claim is pretty flaky.

A vet is a vet - a claim is a claim.

It's not going to fly for you to start your first post

calling BS on another vet.

If that's your intent your welcome to go elsewhere.

Much respect to you "abadboy" and your service to our country.

I only ask, does it matter whether the people killed are vietnamese or german? Is that what makes it PTSD or just a "flaky claim"? Death is death, horror is horror, helplessness is helplessness, no matter what parcel your feet are on.

My claim was rated yesterday but I don't know anything yet because it moved from "Notification" on ebennies back to the development phase due to the VA having lost my DD214 somewhere. Only way I found out was by calling the 1800 # this morning and she told me it was in the notes. I promptly faxed a copy to them and also uploaded it on ebenefits. I wonder how long it will take somebody in post determination to open up my file again and discover it there?? This sure has been a long process and I'm tired.

• HadIt.com Elder

No that C&P exam definately is in FAVOR of your PTSD being SC and the other issues are there but should not prevent the PTSD from being SC and at a 50% rate or higher to start stay in treatment if your PTSD symptoms keeps you from working or if you worsen you will be in a better position to ask for TDIU or an increase down the road I seldom had a GAF over 40 from when I started treatment in Jan 2003 and when I first got rated in Feb 2005 they granted me 50% I filed a NOD based on the rating was to low based on my treating shrinks records and statements that it was his opinion that my SC PTSD alone was enough for him to consider me permanently and totally disabled and that I would never recover enough to return to work. He puts that same statement in my records every Feb since 2004 after a DRO hearing in Jan 2006 they granted me 100% P&T back to my original file date my cardiac issues were granted SC secondary to my PTSD I have had 11 heart attacks, 3 failed stents and a failed triple bypass and was diagnosed with end stage CHF in April 2011 with an ejection fraction of 10% and they implanted a defib/pacemaker in Sep 2011, I am now rated at SMC L with the aide and attendance added in.

settle down and learn patience and wait for your award letter there is nothing more you can do at this point you can't react until they give you something in writing to react about it and know what you need to do, the letter will explain facts and that is all you can deal with then good luck

Still waiting. I received a call from the Regional Office telling me the only thing they need is the amount of separation pay I received, pre and post tax and the date it was received so they can recoup it from retro I'll be receiving.

There are variables to my claim, I also had an asthma contention that had a favorable c&p exam, so the RO telling me I'd be getting retro still doesn't tell me for what contentions. On the other hand, the VSR did say, "You should be pleased".

So, I'm waiting on DFAS to send the RO documentation of my separation pay, the wait is pretty tough, but it's been almost 18 months so a week or two more is going to be fine.