VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Appeal

Rate this question

jdman

Question

I am currently 30% SC for Depression. I have appealed this rating because I feel that it was too low. I tried to commit suicide on active duty and was sent to a private hospital off base when I had my attempt. Those records from that hospital were never considered when my claim was completed. I am also a government employee who is on Workman's Comp for PTSD due to tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a civilian federal employee. I currently see a psychologist at the VA and he prescribes my meds. When I went in to see him in August he had me with a GAF score of 50. I see a private psychologist and he gave me a GAF of 35. I also had a second opinion done for my PTSD and he deemed me totally disabled with a GAF of 30. I have sent all of this paperwork to the VA. They had scheduled me for a C&P for my depression because QTC called me and notified me of it. I just called a few days ago and they said it was cancelled because it was not needed. How do the IMO's and the VA treatment with my psychologist affect my appeal and possible increase? I have tried to give them as much information needed for my claim. My DAV Rep told me that my GAF needed to be under 50 in order for the VA to increase my rating. When looking at the rating determination for depression most of my symptoms fall in the 70-100% rating.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

What is Title 38 Raters Chart? Is that where it shows the breakdown of the issues? I agree my DAV Rep is not good... I don't know who to go to here in OKC that is good. My problem is that when I was discharged I was not given a separation exam and I was discharged within one month of a suicide attempt. They discharged me for misconduct as a way to get me out.

I was in personnel in the AF. I was deployed to Dhahran, SA in 1995. I have filed for GERD, IBS and CFS. I just went on a C&P this week and the C&P doctor stated that I have CFS and GERD linked to military service. I don't know what ratings I will get on these but.... I am gonna try to be hopeful.

I am currently 30% SC for Depression. I have appealed this rating because I feel that it was too low. I tried to commit suicide on active duty and was sent to a private hospital off base when I had my attempt. Those records from that hospital were never considered when my claim was completed.

Since SC has been granted, the evidence above is no longer factored into the evaluation

for a percentage level.

I guess I am confused. Since I am SC what is factored in on the rating for depression?

They say some things are presumptive for GWI. I went to the C&P and the doctor said that he could not link IBS to my service but he could connect CFS and GERD. His opinion was that for IBS I did not have anything documented in my military and civilian records. I did have several complaints of diarhea and cramping. Every instance he said I had a virus. I am so confused about my claims.

How does it work if I am SC for Depression at 30%. I am diagnosed with PTSD from civilian service for which I am on WC. The symptoms of these overlap. I was diagnosed with Depression in 1997 and I was recently diagnosed wtih PTSD in 2011. Are they going to be able to differentiate the symptoms? I believe the Depression led to PTSD along with a combat environment. This is my hardest thing to determine is how they will rate my appeal because of these issues.