VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

False Travel Reimbursement - Big Trouble

Rate this question

carlie

Question

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

they deserve whatever happens to them it's people like this that give us all bad names get what you deserve and every penny of it but the fraud is nothing more than pure greed and those doing it deserve every day in jail they get and I don't want to hear these guys cry because the govt recopus the amounts they stole from their VA benefits either.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA OIG is interested only in false travel claims submitted by veterans, etc. They, in writing (email) indicated that they were not interested in travel claim underpayment to veterans by the VA. Without going too deeply into details, the VA commonly uses a "computer program" to figure the mileage.

The program does not duplicate the actual mileage to the veterans home, as provided/mentioned in the law. Instead, it seems to be based upon a specific point inside the veteran's zip code. This can easily result in most often underpayment, or occasionally, overpayment. If a veteran must drive across his or her zip code, from one side to another, in route to a VA treating facility, the underpayment is maximized. Based upon figures I've run across, the VA computer program mileage closely matches the specific point within a zip code that is also displayed by the national weather service when you use the weather service website to obtain a forecast.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think we can count on the VA continuing it's pursuit of travel pay criminals. Just a warning: The VA considers it theft if you carpool and each occupant claims mileage. You are required to either travel alone or pay for some type of travel in order to get travel pay. They may video record your entry when you drive on the VA property and could easily use facial recognition software to check on us. It's sad but we are now the enemy. jmo

Chuck75 is correct that the VA uses a zip code to zip code system to pay travel. It shorts me about $4.50 a trip.

pr

If these vets did indeed commit fraud they should be sentenced harshly!

However, it is a travestry that the VA can indite Vets for Travel Pay fraud, but seem to be unable to bring charges against VA employees that have shreaded portions of veterans claim files.

I haven't seen any OIG investigations into C&P doctors that write false statements to medical files/C&P reports. I would point out these individuals need to be investigated, because they keep stating they have reviewed the medical records and claims file. If you look at the number of C&P's these people do, the size of the files, and the hours worked record of these employees, you know this is a false statement. Unless the legal standard for "review" is "I saw it on the desk next to the exam worksheet!"

My nickles worth (used to be 2 cents but inflation)

Best regards,

If these vets did indeed commit fraud they should be sentenced harshly!

However, it is a travestry that the VA can indite Vets for Travel Pay fraud, but seem to be unable to bring charges against VA employees that have shreaded portions of veterans claim files.

I haven't seen any OIG investigations into C&P doctors that write false statements to medical files/C&P reports. I would point out these individuals need to be investigated, because they keep stating they have reviewed the medical records and claims file. If you look at the number of C&P's these people do, the size of the files, and the hours worked record of these employees, you know this is a false statement. Unless the legal standard for "review" is "I saw it on the desk next to the exam worksheet!"

My nickles worth (used to be 2 cents but inflation)

Best regards,

Sorry buddy - but that's 20 bucks worth.

Good post !