VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

MarkInTexas

Being "positive" is good. But being realistic is better. You often see VSO's tell their clients who just applied for the first time, "you should hear something by 120 days". (my VSO did just that...10 years later, I am still in appeals)

That Vet is being set up for a big disappointment. He goes home and says, "Gee, honey, we should get a check in 4 months or less and we will be all out of our financial problems".

So, wifey thinks a check will show up. After 4 months comes and goes, he contacts his "optimistic" VSO...."you probably will hear something real soon...the VA is "a bit" backlogged now".

...and so on for the next 4 years or so, after the wife has gotten tired of it and took off with the mail man.

The worst thing that can happen is to be given an overly optimistic view. Better would be if a VSO said, "Expect your claim to take 10 years, minimum..if your multiple appeals all go your way. Even then you can not be assured of anything. You better get a part time job and get ready for a very long drawn out war with the VA"

Then, if the incredible happens and a check shows up in 4 months, the family, hunkered down for WW3 with the VA, will be very happy the War is over and can jump for joy that it happened so quickly. I have known exactly one Vet, out of hundreds who got their benefits in 4 months. The rest of us who finally got benefits took years and multiple appeals.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am also trying to see this in a positive slant.Hopefully it will speed up the process for other Vets.My last claim took over 2 years.The only claim I had that went quickly was the claim I had for PTSD.I submitted it to the Fully Developed Claim program with over a years notes from my VA shrink that showed I had PTSD diagnosed by her........Also about VSO's, I really don't trust them and am underwhelmed by their assistance.I had signed up the DAV as my POA and the only thing they have done was to send me a letter when awarded my PTSD.Other than that they send letters asking me to become a member and send them money.ALL of my successful claims I have done myself with assistance from what I have learned on here......................................Grid

• 7 months later...

I was awarded 100% with over 13 claims and a period of 30 months. They came out with 70% first with a hand full of stuff that they said they wanted to take a look at later. I went back to cnp exams and shortly I was at 100%. I wasn't expecting it, didn't plan for it and frankly am embarrassed to go to the VA hospital and hold myself out as a "disabled vet". With that being said.... I know I'm broken and will not get better, so I am coming to grips with all my limitations. I think there are some small changes taking place at the VA and they are seriously trying to clear the back log of claims....

Small side note... I volunteered at the VA when I first retired. Well, it was through the VA for Catholic charities. I found it strange that when I went to a VA Dr, or something VA affiliated... they asked me if I was still "working" for the VA. I think I got coded as a VA person.... Maybe that has something to do with my good luck with the VA.

If you don't have a job and can volunteer, try to get yourself inside the system and infiltrate that way...

aint nothin easy...

Frank

Man that is definitely a blessing. I work for them but haven't felt the love, LOL maybe it's dependent upon the type of people you are around. I do thank you for your volunteering and you are appreciated. Congratulations on your award. Keep working to get better and thank you for your service.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use