VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After Waiting 4 Years For A C/p The Doctor Was Not Prepared

Rate this question

mountain tyme

Question

Hello...it has been a while since I have asked a question...but here goes...yesterday My husband had finally made it to a c/p after waiting 4 years ...when we arrived at the Va hospital I was surprised that the doctor asked me to come along...MY Husbands c/p was for his back, heart, and headaches...he is already connected for his back and Migraine headaches so the c/p was for an increase of those two ...the heart condition was new...even though when he retired it was mentioned in the VA claim sheet he filled out during his out processing...they did say he had a afib but they felt it was transit and did not give a rating at that time...

but since then he has had to have a pacemaker put in...so here is the crux of the question...His doctor wrote in his progress notes...after reviewing His service Medical records and the report from the hospital that He was life flighted to from the base we were stationed at...that were part of his military service record...he noted that at the time back in 89 it was at the request of the base doctor that they not do an heart cath to see if there was any blockage...and that the base would do it at another time...he was already to go in for the procedure he was prepped ect. and was then told by the cardiologist at the local medical center that he needed it done to rule out any conditions that would call the afrib...to make a long story short...zoom to 2011 his cardiologist who performed his pace maker surgery stated in his records...that he had sleep apnea back in the 80's that went undiagnosed and untreated...causing the afib to manifest resulting in his need to have a pace maker today...if the base hospital would have let the local medical center run the correct e testing due to an abnormal J finding back then...he could have received the proper medical treatment ....when we asked the CP doctor if he read our current Cardiologist doctor notes''' He C/P examiner said he hasn't looked at any of my husband’s medical records and asked up if we had any copies of tom's medical records or doctors notes...which we did not bring...I told the doctor the name of my husbands cardiologist and a general date that so he could find the note also we did bring along one record that was a year old...even though a copy was sent to my husband va doctor at the local clinic I wanted to make sure the C/p doctor would also see it just in case...this letter stated from a consult that the VA clinic doctor had requested done for my husband’s back at a well respected rehabilitation center...the doctor put in writing that my husband due to the progression and severity of his DDD that he recommended that my husband retired soon very soon. That was a year ago and as of 21 of this Month my husband has put in his retirement paperwork because he can no longer do his job...last week his right leg went numb and if it wasn't for the harness he would of feel 30 feet to the ground from the aircraft he was working on...my husband is retired military who has for the last 10 years continued to work in his field but no longer can do to his DDD and other service connected issues...

I told the doctor to keep that medical record regarding for my husband’s need to retire and he said he couldn't that we would have to submit it though the VA to have it put in the VA medical records...even though a copy was sent to the VA clinic doctor who requested the exam to begin with...

so... the question is....are you suppose to bring all records to a c/p or not he has another one Friday...or is this just a fluke and it is just this cp doctor who doesn't review the medical records.... what should we do now

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

"are you suppose to bring all records to a c/p or not?"

That's a good question. I'd say if you have records that are favorable and germane to the claim(s) and the C&P, bring them.

Understand that the C&P examiner may or may not care to look at them. But, if you have copies with you,

there is a good chance that they might be looked at if no more than a few pages are involved.

The last C&P examiner I dealt with looked at key private treatment records I brought concerning IHD, and referenced them in the C&P report.

The records were important, because they established the scheduler percentage that was appropriate, based upon LVEF.

The test results in the records were such that there was no way that the C&P examiner could attempt to refute, and beyond tests that the VA was willing to pay for. It didn't hurt that they were from treatment and tests at a recognized regional heart center.

In addition, the results were also mentioned, along with the C&P, by the Nehmer review board. It ruled that many of the previously denied and related claims were service connected, back to the earliest original claim date, even though a specific claim for a condition might have been filed at a later date.

The review boards ruling was interesting, in that it contained mild rebukes directed at the RO and the C&P examiner, along with an admonition about scheduling future C&Ps (Don't bother!)

Yes - do take copies but of only the most relevant, critical evidence

and just kindly say to the examiner - we made these copies TO LEAVE WITH YOU,

just incase you don't have them / or they happen to not be in the c-file yet.

The do not have to take them - but many times they do.

Just be sure to not try and hand them off 25 - 100 pages of stuff

(most is just stuff / information - and not what is really evidence)

or they will probably turn it down.

JMHO