VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have A Question About Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea when I finally recieved my Gulf War Physical.I was sent by the VA to 2 different sleep studies and they and my PC doc concluded that I have sleep apnea.I tried to claim it once but they denied it stating no record of it in service.I got out in 1994 when sleep apnea was barely heard of and not regularly tested for.I have a CPAP from the VA (can't use it as I can't go to sleep with it on).I have 2 different buddy statements from 2 very good friends that I served with both stating that I had severe snoring issues while in the service when they knew me then.One of these individuals was my roommate for over 2 years.I could submit these and open a new claim.Also I have read that sleep apnea can be service connected as secondary to PTSD.I have a PTSD rating and have to take Trazodone at night to sleep.My wife says that I still snore horribly.Do I have a chance to get this claim awarded or should I just let it lie.Am currently at 90% so if I could get this through it should put me over the 100% schedular mark.Any help would be appreciate.............Thanks, Grid

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I can understand where you are coming from because i have the same thing going on with me. That my sinus aggrvates my sleep apnea. but was denied and now i don't know where to turn.

Grid,

Are you familiar with the "ramp up" feature on CPAP that starts out low pressure so you may get to sleep before ramping up to full?

I encourage you to try different settings with the assistance of your sleep docs- my CPAP isn't a pleasure but it's a miracle device.

All the best! smile.png