VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (Osa) Info Requested?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil

If you stop breathing does this machine breath for you? Some do and some don't. I have the wake-up problems as well. Often I wake up very dry even though I have humidifier. The seal on your machine may be breaking thus causing famous farting noise or high pitched scream. Do you have to piss often? Do you nap in day time?

John

Sorry I missed this earlier, John. Prior to my OSA diagnosis, I would awaken about every 2hrs thinking I'm getting old and my bladder is starting to fail, so I would get up and pee. Once I had the sleep study they realized the problem and now I don't bother to pee, every time I awaken. Since I've started the machines I've had 4-5 nights where I've only awakened once or twice and that's over a period of a yr and a half. I rarely nap during the day, maybe a dozen times over the past yr.

No machine can breathe for you, unless it's a respirator, as the air will fill the stomach once the epiglottis relaxes. I'm doing better but was lead to believe my sleep would improve greatly, which I don't think it has. jmo

pr

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil,

I had the same problem with mine. I followed up with the provider and they said it tends to happen when people are switched to the higher BIPAP pressures, but sometimes clear up after a couple of weeks. They also gave me a silicone strip to put across my nose. The mask was rubbing the bridge of my nose raw, making it more uncomfortable than it is normally.

Vync - thanks! I'm still adapting. I just tried switching to a full mask but am having trouble w/that, as when she set me up w/it, she checked the seal at 11 lbs pressure (which worked at the office) but my pressure is 21 lbs so of course it leaked at home. I had to tighten it down so much it became unbearable. Now I'm back to the nasal pillow. I just need to get used to a chin strap.

pr

Philip,

I've switched to Medicare for my medical needs and am happier with it. Instead of waiting 3 months for cryo at Kalispell VA I get in same week to Medicare doctor, or 2 weeks at most (and time is not your friend with cancer.)

Same with CPAP supplies- Medicare will replace some items 3 times more often than VA and with less hassle or trips in. I'm in Tucson but still using a supplies dealer in Montana cuz the gal is great. She calls to remind me to send in Smart card every 3 months and also gives feedback on results.

If you can use Medicare sources I highly recommend it. Takes some out of pocket $$$ but worth it.

Good luck! smile.png

For all having a problem with OSA and there CPAP’S this device might be worth a try.

http://www.drstelmach.com/tap-times-if-youre-tired-of-snoring

I have had OSA since 2005. However it’s gone untreated since late 2006 when I left the Air Force. Have my first VA Appointment on the 18th since I have been SC for OSA.

I was MEB/PEB for OSA while on active duty but chose to wait almost 6yrs after I left the Military before applying for benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

Philip,

I've switched to Medicare for my medical needs and am happier with it. Instead of waiting 3 months for cryo at Kalispell VA I get in same week to Medicare doctor, or 2 weeks at most (and time is not your friend with cancer.)

Same with CPAP supplies- Medicare will replace some items 3 times more often than VA and with less hassle or trips in. I'm in Tucson but still using a supplies dealer in Montana cuz the gal is great. She calls to remind me to send in Smart card every 3 months and also gives feedback on results.

If you can use Medicare sources I highly recommend it. Takes some out of pocket $$$ but worth it.

Good luck! smile.png

Thanks, NK!! Yup, I've basically switched to Medicare, w/a Medicare suppliment and Humana drug coverage. I took last yrs COLA and put it to good use. I still get most of my drugs from VA and see my PCP, at my CBOC, twice a yr for prescription renewal. She's pretty good! I use a family RN practitioner while wintering in NC and will be scheduling w/Duke University Medical for an endocrinologist to do my diabetes care, next wk. I don't trust the VA's protocols, as they only care about saving money. It costs me a little $ but is well worth the money spent. As for the OSA, I'll keep trying.

Hope the panhandling, oops, I mean gold panning is going well. Any recomendations on a metal detector?

pr

Wow- you're more on top of your coverage than I.

It is nice to use the VA as an A La Carte instead of your main meal.

I have a White's GMT I like, hear good things about the Gold Bug series of detectors.

If you're gonna get real serious and maybe dig bomb craters for the deeper stuff, a Minelab is in order for near $6 thousand.

Pretty much all of em work for the shallow stuff. smile.png