VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (Osa) Info Requested?

Rate this topic

Johnjr, just a heads up.For the first year they seem to be pretty good about it>then you are SUPPOSED to be seen at a minimum of once a year.I found that after the first year they tend to more or less forget about you.When they last contacted me about my OSA they sent me a card to download and a questionaire...Hopefully your situation will go different.maybe you are one of the lucky ones..Good Luck.....Grid

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PR

I have been on a CPAP for about 3 years. It is instructive, I think, how it happened. For 12 years, I have been treated by the local VAMC. About 3.5 years ago, I experienced chest pains. My wife called the VA to let them know I was coming in with chest pains. The VA said, "We are full, and diverting patients." My wife responded "diverting to which hospital". They responded a hospital of the Vets choice.

So, my wife took me to Dayton Heart Hospital, where she worked for 10 years. In 24 hours, DHH had diagnosed my sleep apnea, and recommended a sleep study.

I took this recommendation to the VA, after getting out of the private hospital. The VA sleep center concurred with the DHH, after doing a sleep study, and diagnosed me with OSA.

A CPAP was prescribed. While it did take some getting used to and some "tweaking", the CPAP is no less than a lifesaver for me. As the DHH heart surgeon explained, the right side of my heart was enlarged due to not enough oxygen at night. (The heart gets bigger to compensate for not enough oxygen). This expanse of the right side of the heart continues, until the heart is "lop sided" and develops arrythmia's, and, ultimately CHF and death. By treating the sleep apnea, it saved my life.

We have a sleep doc here at my VAMC. He knows what he is doing, but has way, way, too many patients, as is often the case with VA docs. Thus, no follow up. I have to contact him if I want follow up.

I made an appointment once and he "tweaked" my CPAP. You see, the air pressure is variable, and you want the minimum pressure possible that still keeps your airways open. There is no need for excessive pressure. During the sleep study they gradually increased the air pressure until I had no more apnea events.

However, your sleep apnea is not necessarily static. For example, you can gain weight and the extra tissue in your throat may mean the pressure has to be increased to accomodate the extra tissue. So, if you think the CPAP is not working correctly, go to your sleep doc and tell him, and explain your symptoms, and why you think the CPAP is less than fully effective. My sleep doc increased the pressure from 9 to 10 pounds, and, while that does not seem like much, it was enough, and I sleep pretty well.

I have gotten used to the CPAP and take it wherever I go. I never sleep without it.

Reggie White died from Sleep Apnea:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/SleepDisorders/298

pr, I was issued a CPAP in Oct 2011, and have been using it faithfully since. At the time I got it, there were other Vets also, (about 10) and the tech took a couple hours to show us all about the machine, its operation, use, cleaning, where to call for parts, etc. Then we tried several masks, and chose the one we wanted. She explained that we could expect to receive an envelope in the mail asking for the "chip" that we were to send in, so they can analyze to be sure the machine is doing what each individual needs. (Also checks that it is being used.) She said to look for this envelope in about six months. I did not get the envelope on time, so I called and asked; they told me to send it right in. I got a call back from the tech lady that initially fit me and she apologized to me for not getting the notice out to me on time. I haven't had any problems with the machine at all, I get new pillows filters, etc when I go over to the hospital ( my VA is James Haley in Tampa,Fl). I still wake up tired, but what else is new?

Thank you for your service

Buddy

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks to all who responded!!! I sincerely appreciate it. It appears VA services, for OSA, rate from very poor to really great, depending on which VAMC you deal with. I use my CPAP faithfully, every night, but still wake up 4-5 times, nightly. I hope to resolve this when I get a chin strap and a BiPAP. Only time will tell. I'm currently trying to run it thru my Medicare, as replacement masks will be more frequent with them, than w/VA. The VA would just as soon never update the disposables, for cost savings reasons.

Thanks to all your feedback I'll be pressuring my VA for better service! Thanks again!!!

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, had a new sleep study and they'll be putting me on a BiPAP, which I'll be going thru Medicare and my Medicare co-ins for. Has anyone any dealings w/Lincare or Apria medical services, either good or bad?? They appear to both service my area in NC and in VT, when I'm home, but I don't have any experience w/either. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks again!

pr

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had my annual CPAP appointment today. Last year they told me I had missed 25 nights of using it and that I only used it for 4 hours a night. I didn't agree but said nothing. I faithfully used it every night since for at least 7 hours. I have a claim in for it so you know I will do whatever it takes.

So today I asked about usage of the CPAP. She showed me the report that I only used it 4 hours per night and that I didn't use it for 344 night within the last year. I was furious. I said her program was wrong. She said nothing was wrong with the program. I said then the CPAP is wrong then she said the CPAP was fine. So I said then you are saying I lied. She said yes. I asked for her name which she didn't like and said to go ahead and complain about her. I assured her I would.

I asked for another CPAP because it was wrong. She said I could get one next year. I said and you will get the same results too.

I was told that I have severe sleep Apnea and I'm supposed to trust this machine.

I just sent my Senator an email. They have helped me twice before.

I hope you all have better luck with your CPAP.

vet12