VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cyst On Back And Removal

Rate this question

Detonator

Question

Hello,

I wanted to see if anyone could provide some guidance. I got out of the military in 1995 and was given a 50% VA disability rating (Back, Knees). In 2008, I was given 10% rating for insomnia related to my lower back and knee conditions. However, my rating stayed at 50%...I still don't understand that math. :)

I was at a Veteran's outreach event recently and a vet had told me she received 10% for a cyst that had been removed. I looked in my VA medical records and I also had a cyst noted on my Service Medical Records back in1995 and my final Army medical evaluation. I believe I had the cyst removed before I left the military but couldn't find that record...or possibly by my doctor when I got out. Either way there is a 2 inch scar on my back where the cyst had been.

Do you think the documentation in my service medical records of the presence of a large cyst on my back and the scar where it was is something I can still claim? If so, could this earn a rating of 10%? Would I be able to get back pay or did I need to claim that when I got out?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello,

I wanted to see if anyone could provide some guidance. I got out of the military in 1995 and was given a 50% VA disability rating (Back, Knees). In 2008, I was given 10% rating for insomnia related to my lower back and knee conditions. However, my rating stayed at 50%...I still don't understand that math. :)

I was at a Veteran's outreach event recently and a vet had told me she received 10% for a cyst that had been removed. I looked in my VA medical records and I also had a cyst noted on my Service Medical Records back in1995 and my final Army medical evaluation. I believe I had the cyst removed before I left the military but couldn't find that record...or possibly by my doctor when I got out. Either way there is a 2 inch scar on my back where the cyst had been.

Do you think the documentation in my service medical records of the presence of a large cyst on my back and the scar where it was is something I can still claim? If so, could this earn a rating of 10%? Would I be able to get back pay or did I need to claim that when I got out?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you'd list your current ratings numbers we could explain better. The VA uses something called the Combined Ratings Table (CRT) http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/4-25-combined-ratings-table-19774341 As for your scar, depending on size/pain, it could receive a rating, but it won't be retro, as you needed to file for it then.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are trying for eventual 100% or TDIU you should probably work on the insomnia, depression, chronic pain path instead of trying for 0% scars. You will never get to TDIU or 100% based on a two inch scar. If it was on your face that is different.