VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

$10,000 Life Insurance

Rate this question

warren

Question

in april 2011 i was rated at 50% and i took the life insurance that was offered but i got to the point i couldn't pay the premium. now. in aug 2012, i was awarded 100% t&p. can i pick this insurance back up and have the premiums waved? probably a stupid question but though i would ask any way.

thanks

warren

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• In Memoriam

I believe that you have 1 year to apply for 10,000 insurance from your most recent connection. At 100% you can have the premium waved. You can apply for an additon 30,000 if you like, but there will be a premium that you have to pay.

To find out for sure Visit Hadit/SVR archives and listen to one of the shows with Barry Haydt. Barry will answer any questions that you may have. His phone number is in the archive program.

http://svr-radio.com/archives.html

05-30-2012 Barry Haydt Veterans Insurance adaptive housing

The insurance web site is here:

http://www.insurance.va.gov/miscellaneous/index.htm

Edited by Stretch

At P and T (within a year) you should be able to get "waiver of premiums" due to total disability. You have to apply for it through VA insurance.

You will only get that for your first 10,000 of SDVI life insurance.

You probably should find out if you can re instate the old policy and get the premiums waived, (best) or get a new policy and get the premiums waived.

Its better to do the "old" policy if you can because, whole life insurance builds up dividends AND it is possible you could be refunded some or part of the premiums you paid that were eligible for "waiver of premium".

This will likely depend on your effective date, as well as the date you "dropped" the insurance.

If you had the "old" policy a while, and if it was also whole life, it will build up dividends which could be used to pay premiums.

You will have to check with VA life insurance..either call them or send them an email.

Stretch, also gave you good advice seeking someone knowledgeable in insurance.