VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Education Assistance Question (Dea)

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

My daughter put in the app for dea. When I. Received my decision it made her eligible as of April but I was not awarded until this month. My question is when they process it will they pay her back to when we submitted the app or back until when she became eligible cause she has been in college 2 yrs. also does anyone know how long the processing of the education app takes, around about. I'm in the state of ga. Thnx in advance.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Generally speaking, retroactive education benefits can be paid for up to 1 year, but not earlier than the effective date of the award of Chap 35.

You might have to provide some documentation through her school's VA benefits office. Any retroactive payments will count against the total.

My daughter put in the app for dea. When I. Received my decision it made her eligible as of April but I was not awarded until this month. My question is when they process it will they pay her back to when we submitted the app or back until when she became eligible cause she has been in college 2 yrs. also does anyone know how long the processing of the education app takes, around about. I'm in the state of ga. Thnx in advance.

• HadIt.com Elder

CM.........It takes time to get this going. Your daughter need to be one with the schools VA person, they are the key to getting the right info to get these benefits started....also check your state to see if they offer waivers for the tuition cost.

• In Memoriam

Wow can believe there are two different questions about this at the same time.

My daughter applied a couple weeks before her 23 birthday, just in time. She was awarded 48 months of school to use by 2015. Her school did the rest of the updates, and etc. Michelle has had this benefit for two years and is now 25 years old.

Don't know about retro on this as she had not attended school until after the award.

After applying for DEA, your daughter will get a letter of eligibility and she will need to "elect" the date she wants DEA to begin.

If she does not send in her election form, then the VA will assume she does not want "retro" DEA.

The effective date of my sons DEA was the same as my effective date for 100% BUT, of course, they wont pay DEA retro if your daughter fails to meet ANY of the critera, such as the number of hours of school completed, etc.

While my son sent in the form electronically, the VA said they "lost" his election form disputing he sent it in. We went to the school and she showed an electronic receipt that they received his DEA date election form. No matter..he lost out on his DEA retro anyway. He should have appealed, but did not so its too late now.

Count on the VA to horswaggle you at every turn and you are unlikely to be disappointed.