VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do We Update Enrollment Info For "additional Schoolchild Over Age 18?"

Rate this question

Kimmy

Question

In the compensation claim my husband filed this summer, we included information from our daughter's college confirming her enrollment status at that time. Should we be updating this every semester by sending this confirmation in to confirm her enrollment throughout this period we are waiting?

When a postive decision is made on a claim, would this additional amount for "each additional schoolchild over age 18" be paid retro actively also?

If the answer to both questions are yes, do we upload this online every semester?

Thanks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Kimmy

When you are dealing with a dependency issue, the VA must allow for the dependency of each one listed by the claimant that meets the age requirements and other VA requirements. However each Regional Office is different and will not be the same as to adjudication of that. Meaning you may or may not get your dependency claim on time.

From my own experience I have a dependent living with me for the last 4 years and the VA has known about this. I have filled out the dependence VA Form 21-686 over the years but the Regional Office has decided to award the claim but left off my dependence pay. They conviently do this all the time and always say we never received it. Sooooooooooo I had to resubmit all of the information again. It has been one year and still no pay ,,,,,waiting on them to pay. As long as your child is enrolled in school and within the age requirement for a college dependent and you are, then it just comes down to perserverance and digging in for what is right.

Yes just like me , you will get it eventually and you will get all retro back to the effective award date but it will take you making sure the Regional Office has it because even though you may be filing it ,,,,they have a great habit of loosing the information. I am sorry you probably don't want to hear that but you just have to fight for your dependents issues and make sure you keep it moving and pressure on it. Above all staying on top of it is very important and an attitude of >>>>>NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

CC

I agree. I am still trying to get the VA to pay dependent compensation from a claim filed in 2006 for a "college age" son. The fact is the VA will "blow this off" if they can and you dont protest it.

I am having to go to the CAVC in no small part because the VA wont pay dependent compensation. It is lubricious and an insult to Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet nailed this one:

If you put your dependent's on the original claim the Regional Office will blow it off and pay you as a single veteran.

Why do they do this when we list our dependent info on the 21-526?

The only thing I can think of is just because they can.

Hello Jbasser and Bronco,

Yes they do what they want. I filed my claims and listed my dependents on the claim form and file the 21-526. We had to refile it again once they service connected me so now its been a year and NO RETRO , NO INCREASE IN DEPENDENT PAY. CRIMINAL, CRIMINAL, CRIMINAL. It all about the money. Stall it out and hope we die and divide the spoils among themselves in a thing called BONUSES......168 milion dollars last year. HAPPY THANKSGIVING> NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

• In Memoriam

After I made 100%, I found out that my daughter was eligible for school compensation. Luckily I found out about 2 weeks before her 23 birthday. This 23 is the cut off date. I sent in request for school benefits for her. She was awarded 48 months of allowance.

I wasn't able to collect any retro on her before she had turned 18. Michelle is 25 years old now and still has 20 months of school still available. She has until 2015 to complete her school. So far she is a state licensed beautician.

The stall in my claims process screwed my son out of this benefit. My claims took 6 years.

---------------------------------------------------

Forgot to say that the school she was attending did the updates for her to the VA. You know Grades Attendance, and etc.

Edited by Stretch

CC

Did you appeal the VA not giving you dependent retro when you demonstrated you had already told VA about your dependents on your original application?

The reason I ask is because I know of no regulation which requires the Veteran to submit the exact same information TWICE..once with the 21-526 and AGAIN after the decision. Yes, I know the VA frequently uses this loophole. They cut off your dependents and then pay you as a single Vet, giving you a year to "update" your dependents.

However, even tho the VA pulls this crap, I am not sure it would "stand up" to a great lawyer. If the VA acknowledged receipt of dependent information on the 21-526, then the Vets duties would have been met. The VA will trap you tho. If your original 21-526 does NOT contain birthdays and SSN's of dependents, the VA will say your information was incomplete and they gave you a year to complete it, and YOU failed, thus no dependent retro. You have to make sure your 21-526 showed dependents name, birthdates (birth certificate) and ssn to even try this.