VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help With Chronic Service Connected Pain Issues.

Rate this topic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope everybody had a great holiday.

Update: Gaba Side Effects?

Gabapentin seems to make me gain weight incredibly fast. I've been taking it for a week or so, and have gained at very least 5 lbs... It has increased my appetite so that I cannot be satiated no matter what I eat, before this medcine I had the appetite of a bird unless I was doing lots of work, now I cannot stop eating. It's not only that. but it seems like what I do eat, just instantly turns into fat without metabolizing. Usually, if I have a day or 2 where I just pigout on junk food, I don't notice it. Now it's been 1 week of weird food cravings and I'm very obviously getting fatter. Even my girlfriend noticed, so this is a huge bummer to me. It also seems to make my tinnitus in the left ear which I already have, much much worse, not sure if that part is related to the gaba or not though, but now in addition to the normal high pitched screech, it's a weird, throbbing sound/sensation randomly too.

Love how the VA doctors neglected to tell me about any of the negatives of this medicine, and weight gain is absolutely not ok to me

Does anybody else have any experience with these side effects?

So, to me, even though it's only been a week, the Gaba seems pointless. It made me incredibly tired the first few days, seems to have worsened my tinnitus, definitely made me gain weight at an accelerated rate, and has done nothing noticeable for the pain.

• 3 weeks later...

LivinginPain

Well I was started off with 300mg of Gabapentin and now I am at 600mg per day. At first I was like wow this stuff works but now its circulating in my body it has quit working. Other than Gabapenting I take Tramadol 50mg (short term help), Meloxicam and I have Lidocaine ointment for my toes which only helps for about 15 minutes...... I don't eat as much with me taking the Gabapentin but it makes me sleepy which comes and goes at weird times throughout the day....

The VA wants to try people with pain on all the -ine type meds from Psychology but I can't take any of them. Be careful with those meds because they had really bad effects on me and I can't take any medication with -ine in it.

What is the harm in letting us just choose what medicine we want to be on??? Yes I understand some ppl would instantly want to be on some kind of medicine to get high, but even if that is the case, wouldn't it be a safer way for them to get off? Not to mention, I am sick of this whole 'some bad apples ruin it for the bunch' mentality that is becoming so pervasive in this country. What is this, Nazi Germany? They pick and choose scapegoats to further whatever agenda they are pushing that month.

Bahh, getting so tired of everything... How old is this post of mine, a few months? And what have I managed to get done, squat.

Not only that, but I NEVER get any of the results of labs/tests mailed to me. I try and use the online MyHealthEvet thing from the va website, and it works when it wants to (following suit to the actual VA) but hardly as intended.