VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Ever Actually Picketed A Varo?

Rate this question

Ascomdepot68

Question

Wondering if anyone here has actually picketed a VA Regional Office and if so what were the end results?

Did you get the results (?) you had hoped for or was it a waste of time?

I have tried the "special correspondence" approach 4 times, Secretary of VA, 2 Senators, and the President.

Got nowhere.

I performed a seach on hadit using picket and picketed and only one item came up. From all appearances I

think the man was just talking about doing it not that he had done it.

About 50% of my issues are AO related which is why I am posting under this category but the callousness,

indifference,or ignoring of the VA covers all.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Some years back, the Atlanta (Decatur) GA VARO was picketed by one or two veterans. The city gave them a hard time.

I don't know if the effort produced any meaningful results.

As to A/O, what happened in my claims was that the Atlanta VARO basically denied everything except DMII. The Nehmer Review board in turn, granted almost everything that is considered A/O related, citing the evidence that I had previously submitted to the VARO, including conditions that were documented in the records, but not previously claimed directly. The board's language also contained a low key, backhanded slap at the Atlanta VARO.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

I did try and get local VVA to picket but they were shocked, simply shocked that a vet was not happy with the VA. The other VSO's would probably crap in their pants before they would contemplate such a move. Doing it by yourself makes you look like a crank. I can see plenty or reasons why informational picket might be good. I don't think it would help individual claims. You have to be careful and know all the laws because VA police would love to spray us to show their bosses they are doing something.

John

Back when I was in another forum I talked about picketing recruiter offices.

A lady vet who'd worked with those guys said many are young war vets and it could cause them grief if I did that, so I promised not to.

BUT - the squeaky wheel gets the grease and so far vets have mostly gotten lip service.

When the media Does raise a little ruckus, The Powers That Be announce some useless, token measure that sates them again.

So- I think part of the answer is raising some hell, but the format is the question.

People hear of the scads of money being doled to the VA but don't hear that in Kalispell the wait is 3 months for an appointment (meanwhile that little cancer dot on my nose is now dime-sized and will require surgery instead of cryo. And YES- they have been informed. This has happened before in Portland and Vegas.)

The average citizen has problems of their own right now (evidenced by food bank donations running low) so they're circling the wagons to care for their own and may be less sympathetic to veterans' plight.

But the key is getting the word out to the right people. So a protest is just a drop of water, but prep work with concise information and examples of VA horror stories can get results.

Like Kelly, I have thought of picketing the VARO. And, like Kelly, I decided that this would hurt people it was not supposed to hurt, and let people go free who deserve to be punished.

This being said, I do think its effective to "punch the VA in the media basket" when they throw the first punch at you. As has already been pointed out, going to your congress critter is useless.

I actually like Mr. Cushman's method instead: Nail them in the court system.

http://asknod.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/fed-cir-cushman-v-shinseki/

While no VA employees were ever punished for fraudulently altering Mr. Cushman's records, a second or third incident of this would raise even more eyebrows.

When your case goes to the CAVC or federal courts, you are, indeed, punching them in the media basket, as these cases are public record for everyone to point out to others.