VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got Call About 100% Iu For Ptsd But...

Rate this question

shine2012

Question

Hello all. I am new here and I am posting this on behalf of my husband to help in a situation that we may encounter.I always have to be prepared and my husband is very severe and can be unpredictable. My husband's appeal for PTSD had just been decided and they called yesterday to tell us that they decided for him to recieve 100% IU, also that he is declared mentally incompetant and that I would handle the finances as I do with social security as well. I really wish they would have spoken to me because he had a very hard time explaining it and just said they would send it in the mail anyway :-/

My concern lies here though: he was 70% for PTSD and had not worked at all since 2010. He worked but couldn't hold any steady employment before 2010. He does not get along with others, paranoid, obsessive compulsive, talks to himself, angry outbursts, and no meds seem to help....where he was getting counseling at works with other Veterans and have these residences that help homeless Vets get back on their feet and asked him if he would be interested in working for them recently and they thought it would help keep his mind occupied and maybe that is what he needed. I was a little well a lot weary but it was something he wanted to try. They said someone would be working with him and it was basically like a sitter...well...it still did not work out....at all. He just can't get past paranoia and OCD and getting along with others. It stirred everything up. He was there for a few weeks and kept having me pick him up early and he just ended up having to quit.

I just have to be prepared about the VA. I have read 38 USCS Section 1163 where they cannot reduce it unless the Veteran has secured and followed a substantially gainful occupation for 12 consecutive months. Then again, PTSD is another story. This little "job" did not go over well, and now that he has gotten paid for a few weeks and it could affect everything after waiting since 2009 when the appeal was put in and he is in the shape he is in and will not even go back to that place for counseling anymore. I wish he would have listened to me. I didn't feel it was a good idea, but he is a grown man and this whole new dynamic of learning how to live with my "new" husband that came back even after 6 years I am still having to get used to. I don't want to seem insensitive. Just worried because he has suicidal ideations and something like that would be devistating and set him off. He is on a waiting list for inpatient treatment. What do you do?

Thank you for your time.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You do realize that 70 percent with the designation of IU is paid at the 100 percent rate.

Both IU and 100 percent scheduler ratings for a mental disorder precludes working.

A lot of people don't understand this.

Congratulations on the IU. Did they say it was a permanent and total rating?

If it is you will receive additional benefits.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

If he is IU or 100% for PTSD he should not be on any waiting list for treatment at the VA. I would go see my congressman about that. Write the medical director that you know about the number of suicides of vets and, yet, your 100% vet is on a waiting list. This does not compute.

I am brand new to posts and forums like this so bear with me. He just received 100% IU for PTSD as of this Wednesday and he was just at 70% until then. I need to ask more questions I know but I am walking on eggshells constantly and lately it has just got to me more...I am exhausted:-/ It is rediculous, but now he shouldn't have a problem and says he is ready to go through the inpatient program for the sake of our family. Thank goodness because something has to give and something has to happen. I even tried to call the Admissions Coordinator with the PTSD Residential Unit today again and couldn't get hold of anyone but maybe they are still celebrating their Thanksgiving? I have been very frustrated with his doctors. It does scare me about suicide, I have a very real fear of guns because I have seen him about to use them on himself. So even to this day, any clicking noises, anything that sounds like that, even since we live in a rural area and I hear the hunters around us, it sets me off and makes me nervous. I know this way with the 100% IU he is not supposed to have guns. I know many Veterans don't like this, including him because he wants protection, but he can't control himself if he goes into that mode, he doesn't even remember those times he did what he did and he wasn't under the influence of alcohol. So, I believe with him it is a positive thing.

jbasser- so he could possibly still be at 70% and they just gave him IU? I just know the man said 100% and IU to him...but again there is no telling until I call and then I know we will get something in the mail. I also tried to call them today but no answer. I have no idea if it is permanent and total because they spoke to him. I will just have to call on Monday and see what is going on.