VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adjustment Disorder Rating, Dbq, Etc.

Rate this question

georgiapapa

Question

I am in the process of filing a formal claim for "Chronic adjustment disorder with anxiety and depression", diagnostic code 9440. I have been in psychotherapy since summer of 2011 with a VA psychologist and a VA psychiatric nurse practitioner. I currently have claims pending for multiple myeloma (agent orange presumptive) and IHD (agent orange presumptive). Both my psychologist and NP have stated in my progress reports that my adjustment disorder is "secondary to my medical conditions-multiple myeloma."

They also both agree my adjustment disorder is aggravated even more by my recent diagnosis of IHD.

My psychologist completed a DBQ for me to submit with my claim. Some of the responses she provided in the DBQ are some of the same symptoms shown in the general rating formula for mental disorders in the 70%, 50%, 30% and 10% criteria so I really have no idea as to the rating I should receive. For example, she responded that I have "obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities" and "difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances including work or work like setting" both of which fall in the 70% criteria. She also responded that I have "occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect", "panic attacks more than once a week", "impairment of short and long term memory" which all fall in the 50% criteria. She also responded that I have "depressed mood", "anxiety" and "chronic sleep impairment" which all fall in the 30% criteria. She responded that I have "symptoms controlled by continuous medication" which falls in the 10% criteria.

On the DBQ she indicated my diagnosis was "adjustment disorder with anxiety and depression" ICD code: 309.28 in axis category I. Under Axis III, she listed "multiple myeloma" ICD code 203.00 and under Axis IV she listed "health". Under Axis V, she listed my GAF score as "45".

I am sending the VA copies of all my progress reports from my psychologist and NP. The reports support the responses provided in the DBQ. One difference between the reports of my psychologist and my NP is the GAF scores. My psychologist consistently gave me GAFs of 45 while my NP gave me GAFs in the mid 50s.

Other symptoms constantly mentioned in my mental disorder progress reports include: Hopelessness & helplessness, low frustration tolerance, withdrawn, anticipatory anxiety, sleep disorder (restless & broken), nightmares, insomnia, diminished ability to concentrate, recurrent thoughts of death, memory deficiencies, depressed, irritable, blunted and labile.

I am trying to get an idea as to what rating I should receive for my adjustment disorder so any input from other hadit members would be appreciated, especially input from veterans who have been service connected for mental health disorders..

Thanks...Georgiapapa

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

John,

Thanks for your input. I have started gathering info on TDIU for a possible claim. After I look at the info, I will file if it looks like I have a legitimate claim.

Thanks again...

Georgia Papa

papa,

There is no income cap that I am aware of for SS or SSDI if you are eligible then you can file. If you are not working and can not work at anything because of your disabilities I would file for ssdi.

I am 100% for my heart and another 50% PTSD I have been on ssdi for 3 years now and got mine approved in 4 months!

Stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

SSDI pays more than you would get at 62 and less than you would get at 65-66 (regular retirement age). I got SSDI 10 years ago, and like Stillhere it took about 3-4 months. It usually takes longer with appeals etc.

Thanks stillhere. I will check in to it.

Georgia Papa

1986-1990
Navy Active Duty treated for Adjustment Disorder. Received Honorable Discharge
for EAOS with a RE4. VA voc rehab stated I was unemployable and NSC pension was
granted. Finally SSDI was granted and NSC pension terminated. I was allowed
however, to keep 10% SC for tinnitus. See VA mental hygiene regularly and take
plenty of psychotropic meds. My provider is willing to help and suggest Chronic
Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety and Depression. My issue is the bureaucratic language
I need to use; one wrong word and you are rejected Will someone share claim
wording?

1986-1990

Navy Active Duty treated for Adjustment Disorder. Received Honorable Discharge

for EAOS with a RE4. VA voc rehab stated I was unemployable and NSC pension was

granted. Finally SSDI was granted and NSC pension terminated. I was allowed

however, to keep 10% SC for tinnitus. See VA mental hygiene regularly and take

plenty of psychotropic meds. My provider is willing to help and suggest Chronic

Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety and Depression. My issue is the bureaucratic language

I need to use; one wrong word and you are rejected Will someone share claim

wording?

Welcome,

Please pick a forum and repost this as a new topic.

Thanks