VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Augusta Ga Va Clothing Allowance

Rate this question

tmoe

Question

I know this has been mention 100 times,but this is what VA is trying to do with clothing allowance, I had a back brace that was not through

VA and the first guy says it has to be through VA to get paid. My responce was I don't get care for my back from VA, its through

a private Dr, VA won't see me for my back problem. So the supervisor who pays clothing was in a meeting until I ask for the regulation

that says it has to be issue through VA to get paid,they could'nt. Then she says I have to appeal the decision and to write a NOD as

to why I disagree, so I ask for paper to write my disagreement she don't have any, so one of the co worker gave me some paper and

told me to write everything they said and before I could get it wrote the supervisor say stop right there sign it I will pay you for the brace.

I was suppose to get three but my left hand is not sc for carpal tunnel just the right and the back. I just had to show the prescription for

my back brace and the brace it self. So dont let them s**t you they must pay you. ALL this was after I recieve my letter, just got paid for

one,but was denied 2 other. Now the back brace was approve today!!

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

First to be sure, the VA isn't going to pay more than two clothing allowances to any veteran. The rules only call for payment of two , not three. four or more. Now, to be sure, if your brace was not issued by the VA then legally according to VA Handbook 1173.15 they cannot and should not pay you any clothing allowance. So if you got a brace from the private sector and the VA employee agreed to pay you the clothing allowance they are breaking the Law. You really should download a copy of the handbook and read it. The VA here in San Antonio will not only refuse to pay a clothing allowance for a private sector issued brace, but they also refuse to pay a clothing allowance if your brace or appliance was issued by a different VA Hospital or A Military Hospital. The Handbook specifically states that the item must be issued by the VA, ( not the Local VA). The new clothing allowance form shows an example of an appliance being issued by Walter Reed Medical Center... so even the example on the form contradicts the Handbook. I presently am fighting with VA San Antonio because of refusal to pay the second clothing allowance because as they stated they did not issue my AFO, Canadian crutches , or manual wheelchair... at the local va there fore even when I present medical records showing they were issued at other va medical centers they still refuse to pay for the second clothing allowance. I generated a congressional inquiry today after playing their games for over a year. So in response to your last sentence, what you were told was against the law, and no other veteran should expect to be paid for a clothing allowance under the conditions you outlined, The appliance that warrants the clothing allowance by law must be issued by the VA for a service connected issue.

e. When the veteran certifies use of an appliance and/or medication which damages clothing and there is no record of VA issue, a physical examination needs to be scheduled prior to a recommendation for denial of entitlement. In determining whether these devices and/or medications tend to damage clothing, each individual application is to be considered on the objective findings of the case; this may include a medical examination and an inspection and evaluation of the device(s) claimed to cause damage to the clothing. Staff must ensure that they do not routinely require the production of worn or torn clothing.

NOTE: Reasonable doubt should be resolved in favor of the veteran. This don.t say you can.t get paid if not issue through VA only they would have to check it to see if it cause wear and tear to clothing

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1641 handbook

Edited by tmoe

e. When the veteran certifies use of an appliance and/or medication which damages clothing and there is no record of VA issue, a physical examination needs to be scheduled prior to a recommendation for denial of entitlement. In determining whether these devices and/or medications tend to damage clothing, each individual application is to be considered on the objective findings of the case; this may include a medical examination and an inspection and evaluation of the device(s) claimed to cause damage to the clothing. Staff must ensure that they do not routinely require the production of worn or torn clothing.

NOTE: Reasonable doubt should be resolved in favor of the veteran. This don.t say you can.t get paid if not issue through VA only they would have to check it to see if it cause wear and tear to clothing

http://www1.va.gov/v...asp?pub_ID=1641 handbook

I guess it depends on how you read it... " when there is no record of va issue" In my case the local va said that there was no record of issue, and that even though I provided medical evidence showing the va did issue my stuff, they said but it must be issued by this va and since it was not it does not qualify for the clothing allowance. I filed an appeal citing exactly what you show above. They did not afford me an examination, although the fact that my appliances are used is in my medical records because every time I see a doctor they write it down. My appeal was signed for on 15 Oct, they have by law ( va directive clinical appeals) 30 days to provide an answer. They fail to reply, my congressional inquiry went to my senator yesterday. Now I am not a big fan of contacting senators because they rarely do help... normally you end up with the same answer regardless of who is asking, only with a congressional you might get a faster answer..... Technically your are correct when there is no record of issues does not mean the va must issue the item.... but according to the local va it means that it must be issued by the va........and I can tell you if every va did the same thing according to the rules we would not have any problems... but very few va's do the exact same thing.

My clothing allowance has been approved for appliances I have received from the military hospital as a military retiree/tricare prime patient and not the VA.

VA tried that same "it wasn't issued by us" and denied it two years ago and when I sent them my appeal the next day, it was approved within a week; haven't had that problem since.

justrluk,her name is Mrs Price the supervisor i went to her office because she quit answering her phone she is a pain in the butt a month ago she said i was approve

i call a week later my claim have not been approve nor summited yet. I would check with her again, also it will show on ebenefits as a claim open

and close decision sent or something like that

Thanks, tmoe - I'll call (bug) them today and see what happens.

justrluk,just got my second clothing deposit today so good luck with yours

Congrats! I heard yesterday they were working on the "Ls". I'm in that list, but haven't seen anything yet. Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first??