VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated 0% 1970 For Tinnitus

Rate this question

vietvet

Question

Fellow Vets:

I was rated 0% service connected for Hearing WITH Tinniuts back in 1970. I filed a notice of disagreement within one year and it remained

0% for Hearing WITH Tinnitus.

I understand how difficult the hearing portion is, but shouldn't I have been rated 10% each ear in 1970 for Tinniuts?

Note: back then it was 10% for each ear. Now I know it's 10% for both ears.

Then in 2006 when I refiled again took my CAP and was awarded 0% Hearing and 10% Tinnitus.

Question: Do I have any claim for an error in the rating; should I have been granted 20% service connected back in '70?

Am I do retro? I greatly appreciate your opinion. Happy Holidays!

A Proud Vietvet

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was just going to post a question on this same topic today, funny this would be on here. It started with Nehmer claim my husband made 10/10 for IHD. It was during this claim that he also put in for tinnitus, he is rated 0% for hearing loss since 03, but he never put in for tinnnitus until 2010 as secondary to hearing loss. When he went for C & P exam for IHD, my husband was told to cancel the increase in hearing loss exam as you need to be etremely bad in hearing to get increase past 0, however the C & P hearing loss exam is also for tinnitus (which he was not canceling) The hearing loss C & P was same day, but he did not go to it. He was told by C & P office and a VFW VSO that exam not needed if claim for increase in hearing loss was being withdrawn and I thought, well how would ringing in ears show up in hearing loss exam, so it would not be needed. Ah, but I was wrong the hearing exam was also for tinnitus, so he did need exam. Sorry this is long. Partial claim was settled in 5/12, with deferment on tinnitus and meneier's disease (ear condition) Meneier's disease, secondary to DMII. He was had his C & P exam for both in 10/12

During a visit with with VSO in May, ED was brought up (no pun intended). Well we didn't think VSO was going to put in claim for this as I did not want to put in anything new as it would effect present claim. To our surprise, he was scheduled for ED exam, last Friday 11/30.

And now to point of this story. We went to record release office and he was able to get copy of C & P exam from hearing loss. It stated he had tinnitus and also examier wrote it was also noted my husband had tinnitus from exam back in 2003. He was never rated and he had never put in claim for it.

If rated for tinnitus now, would the prior exam from 2003 be a CUE?? Can it fall under the VA having knowledge of a medical condition thru the C & P exam and not giving it to a vet, even if no claim for condition was made? Also Meneier's disease was acknowledge but not as secondary to DMII, It said tinnitus more than likely due to hearing loss, Meneier's disease not as likely to DMII.

Frankie:

Here is my impression, noting that it is difficult to consider effective dates without seeing the entirety of the claims record. Foremost, there is a tension between what constitutes an informal claim for compensation and whether that claim was denied (formally or through inferred denial). See Ingram v. Nicholson, 21 Vet. App. 232 (2007) and Coker v. Nicholson, 19 Vet. App. 439 (2006). Frankly, the VA and associated courts are still dealing with that issue on a case-by-case basis. That said, the case law clearly has ruled that violations of the VCAA's duty to assist are not grounds for CUE. In short, from my perspective, no CUE is possible unless you first establish that there was a prior claim in 2003.

Based upon the facts given, if I were going to arguing EED for tinnitus my argument would be: (1) the veteran's original claim for hearing loss fairly encompassed a claim for tinnitus; and (2) that claim has remained pending and unadjudicated since the original date of claim for hearing loss; (3) the evidence establishes that the veteran has service connected tinnitus as noted in the service medical records (or secondary to his service connected hearing loss). Assuming arguendo the prior rating decision denied tinnitus by inference, then the facts demonstrate CUE because: (1) there was an original claim for tinnitus based upon the veterans claim of hearing loss; (2) the VA denied that claim through inference in its original rating decision; and (3) the available statutes and C&P examination at the time of the original adjudication clearly established that the veteran had service connected tinnitus.

Good luck and sorry about the long-winded response

Seth Director

Edited by bluenote