VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Ablation Partial Sucess

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

4 weeks ago I had a heart ablation for my PSVT (Paroxysmal Supraventicular Tachycardia). Although it was a partial sucess, I am still having some tachycardia and arrhythmias. Nevertheless, I am feeling better. I am still recovering from the heart ablation. The EP doctor told me that I still have the PSVT and will probably have it for the rest of my life. He also told me I would probably have to take continuous medication for the rest of my life.

My question is, will this help or hurt my current claim with the VA? I am trying to get back the 10% that the VA took away from me many years ago. Should I submit the records for my heart ablation to the VA or just wait until I get a decision?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Brian

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I am no expert but I would say if it helps your claim submit it. I don’t think the VA could get any slower! In my case the VA was requesting more information right up until the last week before the decision.

I am sure some of the experts floating around here will chime in soon. There is also the school of thought that you should wait for decisions because you can always submit new evidence once it over.

By the way what is your claim for and how long has it been at the VA??????

I am no expert but I would say if it helps your claim submit it. I don’t think the VA could get any slower! In my case the VA was requesting more information right up until the last week before the decision.

I am sure some of the experts floating around here will chime in soon. There is also the school of thought that you should wait for decisions because you can always submit new evidence once it over.

By the way what is your claim for and how long has it been at the VA??????

I have also heard people say wait for a decision before submitting new material. And then I have heard several people say get your new material in ASAP. I never know which is the correct way.

My original claim was submitted in June 2006. It went to the BVA and am currently waiting for an appealed decision that was remanded by the BVA. My RO is the infamous Oakland RO.

I was awarded 10% back in 1967 and they took it away 1 year later. My claim is for PAT (Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia) which has been rediagnosed as PSVT.

Yes, there is a "school of thought" that says you should "wait" on filing for benefits for any number of reasons. (claim in progress, appeal in progress, gather evidence first, concern that it will delay other claims, etc)

To find out how much it costs you to "wait" you can calculate it by multiplying the disability percentage times the number of months you "wait" to apply for benefits.

After you do this, and know how much it costs you to "wait", you can decide. For me, I can not afford to wait to apply for benefits. For example if you "wait" to file for TDIU, (and then finally get it, but at a later date) it can be tens of thousands of dollars of lost retro.

The VA would like it for Veterans to "wait". If you wait long enough, you will eventually die, and the VA will pay out zero. Or, if you wait too long, the VA will drag their feet on the appeals until you do die.

Whether you "wait" to file for benefits depends on how much you need money. If you are a millionare and dont need VA benefits, then you might just as well wait indefinately.

If it has something to do with the claim they are currently working on, then I would say send it in. It's not good to open new items when they are working on a decision, but things that pertain to the condition they are currently deciding on new info can help if it says the right things. I always send the info certified mail with return receipt and put "Please expedite to rater. Condition currently in decision phase" in the bottom left corner of the envelope. Not sure if it helps, but it shouldn't hurt.

If it has something to do with the claim they are currently working on, then I would say send it in. It's not good to open new items when they are working on a decision, but things that pertain to the condition they are currently deciding on new info can help if it says the right things. I always send the info certified mail with return receipt and put "Please expedite to rater. Condition currently in decision phase" in the bottom left corner of the envelope. Not sure if it helps, but it shouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the info. The only thing I am worried about is the VA might say, "well, you had a catheter heart ablation so you must be cured now". Don't trust them from what experience I have had with them for the last 6 years. Seems like just one slip of the wrong word mentioned or something they see on a document seems to give them the slightest reason to deny your claim.

I am going to submit my paperwork and hope for the best. At least the procedure will actually show them that I still have this diagnosis and I am being treated for it. The ablation was a partial success but did not cure me at all. My cardiologist told me that I will probably have this condition for the rest of my life. And I will probably need to take beta blockers for the rest of my life.

Guess it could be a lot worse. At least I am still upright.