VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Independant Living Program Assist With Tdiu

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

I have a claim in for TDIU, going on 18 months now. I was approved for SSD as well and sent them that paperwork about a year ago. I am a voc rehab student and my counselor told me he is sending me the premiliarly paperwork for inderpendant living program. I dont know what that entails, would that assist with getting TDIU? I also dont know what ILP is and I am looking into that. Thank you

Pete

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think it will help or hurt. Having active vocational rehabilitation will probably rule out getting P&T for obvious reasons. If you were turned down for Voc Rehab that would help TDIU. It makes sense that the VA should try and rehab vets who are TDIU. In reality I am not sure it works that way. What is your intention with the voc rehab? Do you see employment in your future?

I was discharged in 2009 and started Voc Rehab that same year with the intention of seeking employment. As time progressed my disabilities became worse and so did the pain. I applied for SSD and was approved last year. That is when I applied for TDIU. I have tried physical therapy with no changes. I paid out of pocket for a chiropractor and acupuncture and that also did not help. So i let my Voc Rehab counselor know about my SSD and my limitations thus far. He recently sent me the questioneer for Independant living. So this is where everything stands at the moment. I cant stand or sit for more than an hour at a time due to pain and other issues so the outlook for employment is not that great. Thanks for the reply..

Edited by willie 74

• HadIt.com Elder

Dot09

If a vet is on Voc Rehab and is dropped from the program due to his disabilites it would help with a TDIU claim. My understanding of ILP is that it is for those who are basically static. I was dropped from Voc Rehab due to my disabilites. I think that did help when I applied for TDIU. I asked for Voc Rehab while I was still working in a light duty job for the post office. When I was finally fired I filed for TDIU and did use voc rehab failure as evidence of a serious job handicap.

Dot,

Thanks for the response. Yes after the discharge I originally thought that I would be able to work. As the time progressed my disabilities became worse and I ended up applying for SSD. I was approved in four months. I then applied for TDIU in April 2011and am still waiting for a response. I just filled out the premiulary questioneer for ILP. I will be done with school this June with a BA in Business. My counselor has not said anything about me stopping school and I should address that issue as well. Thank you both for the responses and input..

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would get the degree. Just because you have a degree does not mean you can work a full time job. The degree is something you might be able to use one day if you get better. You can't be disqualified for TDIU just because you are going to school. TDIU is about work. The VA may try and argue that if you can finish a college degree you can work, but that is not so. I have two degrees and I can't work any more. All the time I was in school I was fighing against severe depression so it took me twice as long. I was able to work for a while but, like you, I became unable. I got SSD and then TDIU. I am glad I got my degrees even if it did not help me with making a living. No one can take it away from you.

John