Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
Sign in to follow this  
willie 74

Can Independant Living Program Assist With Tdiu

Question

I have a claim in for TDIU, going on 18 months now. I was approved for SSD as well and sent them that paperwork about a year ago. I am a voc rehab student and my counselor told me he is sending me the premiliarly paperwork for inderpendant living program. I dont know what that entails, would that assist with getting TDIU? I also dont know what ILP is and I am looking into that. Thank you

Pete

5 answers to this question

I don't think it will help or hurt. Having active vocational rehabilitation will probably rule out getting P&T for obvious reasons. If you were turned down for Voc Rehab that would help TDIU. It makes sense that the VA should try and rehab vets who are TDIU. In reality I am not sure it works that way. What is your intention with the voc rehab? Do you see employment in your future?

Ad

I was discharged in 2009 and started Voc Rehab that same year with the intention of seeking employment. As time progressed my disabilities became worse and so did the pain. I applied for SSD and was approved last year. That is when I applied for TDIU. I have tried physical therapy with no changes. I paid out of pocket for a chiropractor and acupuncture and that also did not help. So i let my Voc Rehab counselor know about my SSD and my limitations thus far. He recently sent me the questioneer for Independant living. So this is where everything stands at the moment. I cant stand or sit for more than an hour at a time due to pain and other issues so the outlook for employment is not that great. Thanks for the reply..

Edited by willie 74

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I don't think it will help or hurt. Having active vocational rehabilitation will probably rule out getting P&T for obvious reasons. If you were turned down for Voc Rehab that would help TDIU. It makes sense that the VA should try and rehab vets who are TDIU. In reality I am not sure it works that way. What is your intention with the voc rehab? Do you see employment in your future?

John999,

I believe he is being dropped from his Voc Rehab counselor because of is issues and is in the process of applying for ILP.. From my understanding Voc Rehab is in charge of both. They approve things for daily living. IE bed, house work, anything that could help the vet live a normal life. I'm not sure on the dollar amount but I believe I heard a 25,000 cap limit. Check out Pete53 posts for information. IMO, I believe that you being on SSD and transitioned or were dropped from Voc Rehab employment will greatly help your chances of getting tdiu. Let me know if I misunderstood you.

Dot

Edited by Dot09

Dot09

If a vet is on Voc Rehab and is dropped from the program due to his disabilites it would help with a TDIU claim. My understanding of ILP is that it is for those who are basically static. I was dropped from Voc Rehab due to my disabilites. I think that did help when I applied for TDIU. I asked for Voc Rehab while I was still working in a light duty job for the post office. When I was finally fired I filed for TDIU and did use voc rehab failure as evidence of a serious job handicap.

Dot,

Thanks for the response. Yes after the discharge I originally thought that I would be able to work. As the time progressed my disabilities became worse and I ended up applying for SSD. I was approved in four months. I then applied for TDIU in April 2011and am still waiting for a response. I just filled out the premiulary questioneer for ILP. I will be done with school this June with a BA in Business. My counselor has not said anything about me stopping school and I should address that issue as well. Thank you both for the responses and input..