VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can The Va Contact A Former Employer Concerning Youe Claim?

Rate this question

willidx4

Question

So my buddy called me today an informed me that he just got a letter from the VA stating that they will attempt to get treatment records from his former employer which is the Sheriff’s Office. This just doesn’t sound right to me why would they need treatment records from his former employer. I mean it’s not like they ever knew anything at all about his VA claims or the fact that he was diagnosed with PTSD. Is it even legal for the VA to contact his former employer and ask question about his mental or physical state while he worked for them? I know he did file for TDIU could the VA just be contacting his former employer to ensure he is not working???

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

So my buddy called me today an informed me that he just got a letter from the VA stating that they will attempt to get treatment records from his former employer which is the Sheriff’s Office. This just doesn’t sound right to me why would they need treatment records from his former employer. I mean it’s not like they ever knew anything at all about his VA claims or the fact that he was diagnosed with PTSD. Is it even legal for the VA to contact his former employer and ask question about his mental or physical state while he worked for them? I know he did file for TDIU could the VA just be contacting his former employer to ensure he is not working???

If he signs a ROI form for VA to contact them then yes VA is able to do so.

If he has requested IU, then VA will want to contact the former employer for a few

answers to their questions, like reason for termination of employment, any on the job

related injuries, or illness, amount of sick time taken and why, etc . . .

If he wants the benefits and meets the criteria - he has to play ball.

Lets say your paying the bill for IU -

wouldn't you want to know if he reported to his employer that he had

no mental health conditions . . . and then, through his job he experienced a trauma

that resulted in PTSD ?

That liability would rest with his employer and not VA.

I am not stating this is the case.

That is just an example.

Carlie has it right. If you want to "play ball" with the VA then you have to play by "their rules", not yours. When you request benefits, the VA makes you sign release forms, consenting to release everything..even stuff your mother does not know about you.

So, the answer is, "Yes", the VA can contact your employer, your doctor, your military service records, and, I understand they also do a criminal background check.

You see, the VA automatically takes 90% of your VA benefits in the event you are incarcerated as a felony AND, the VA likes to deny things such as "willfull miscounduct", so if your drinking caused the problem, even while in service, you can expect a denial for benefits based on "wilfull misconduct".

By applying for VA benefits, you give the VA the right to know everything there is to know about you, and then leave all that information on a laptop that the VA can not remember where they left it.

The VA will hold up your claim awaiting info from employers - happened to me.

Unfortunately, some employers are like jilted ex-lovers and aren't interested in helping you by filling out VA paperwork, or they're concerned with their liability in releasing requested information.

If you have good relations with former employer, contact them to ease the process. Might also ask VA what you need to do to get over that employer info hump.

By applying for VA benefits, you give the VA the right to know everything there is to know about you, and then leave all that information on a laptop that the VA can not remember where they left it.

laugh.png aint that the truth

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can go to your former employer and get the information directly from then and then send it to the VA that can speed things up if the VA will accept it. I cut about 6 months to a year off my TDIU by getting my Form 50 from the USPS and sending to the VA. They wanted to know my last day at work etc. They also wanted info from SSA and a copy of my DD214. I got all that for them thus knocking off months of waiting around for various agencies to send it.