VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Cardiologist

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

After chatting with my cardiologist he agreed to write me a letter to submit to the VA.

"Brian is being followed in my medical practice for known coronary artery disease and more recently, for treatment of Paroxysmal Supraventicular Tachycardia. Brian underwent a successful PSVT ablation at Mercy General Hospital on 10/19/12. In spite of this recent intervention, he continues to experience occasional atrial arrhythmias and palpitations, which may continue indefinately. The ongoing use of Metoprolol will be effective in decreasing these symtoms, and it is my recommendation that he continue on Metoprolol.

As well, Clopidagrel (Plavix) as long term therapy for his known coronary artery disease as an antiplatelet agent is recommended."

He also filled out VA form 21-0960A-1 Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD) Disabilty Benefits Questionnaire

1A. Does the veteran have Ischemic Heart Disease Yes

1B Diagnosis LXMI ICD code 412

1C CAD native vessel ICD code 414

1D PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) ICD code V45-82

2A Does the veteran's treatment plan include taking continuous medication for the diagnosed condition Yes

List medications prescribed for IHD related conditions

Clopidogrel, Metoprolol, Simvastatin

3A Does the veteran have CHF No

4A Has a diagnostic exercise test been conducted Yes

2/3/2012 12.5 Mets

5c Left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) if known 65%

I also had my EP doctor who is also a cardiologist fill out the same form and sign it.

He also checked the box that I have Ischemic Heart Disease.

Diagnosis SVT ICD code 427.0

CAD ICD code 414.0

He also indicated that I need to take continuous medication.

He never checked the METS box.

I could not get him to write a letter for me.

I am hoping some of the Hadit people that have heart issues may be able to help me figure this one out and let me know if this will help me finally win my claim with the VA.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are an AO vet you should win. You don't have CHF which is a bugaboo for many vets. CHF can be secondary to DMII, however.

• HadIt.com Elder

After chatting with my cardiologist he agreed to write me a letter to submit to the VA.

"Brian is being followed in my medical practice for known coronary artery disease and more recently, for treatment of Paroxysmal Supraventicular Tachycardia. Brian underwent a successful PSVT ablation at Mercy General Hospital on 10/19/12. In spite of this recent intervention, he continues to experience occasional atrial arrhythmias and palpitations, which may continue indefinately. The ongoing use of Metoprolol will be effective in decreasing these symtoms, and it is my recommendation that he continue on Metoprolol.

As well, Clopidagrel (Plavix) as long term therapy for his known coronary artery disease as an antiplatelet agent is recommended."

He also filled out VA form 21-0960A-1 Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD) Disabilty Benefits Questionnaire

1A. Does the veteran have Ischemic Heart Disease Yes

1B Diagnosis LXMI ICD code 412

1C CAD native vessel ICD code 414

1D PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) ICD code V45-82

2A Does the veteran's treatment plan include taking continuous medication for the diagnosed condition Yes

List medications prescribed for IHD related conditions

Clopidogrel, Metoprolol, Simvastatin

3A Does the veteran have CHF No

4A Has a diagnostic exercise test been conducted Yes

2/3/2012 12.5 Mets

5c Left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) if known 65%

I also had my EP doctor who is also a cardiologist fill out the same form and sign it.

He also checked the box that I have Ischemic Heart Disease.

Diagnosis SVT ICD code 427.0

CAD ICD code 414.0

He also indicated that I need to take continuous medication.

He never checked the METS box.

I could not get him to write a letter for me.

I am hoping some of the Hadit people that have heart issues may be able to help me figure this one out and let me know if this will help me finally win my claim with the VA.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

The LVEF of 65% is of concern. It may forestall compensation for IHF.

It's also a bit above average, and may actually be a symptom in itself.

I'd ask a cardiologist if it indicates something significant.

Perhaps you should "Google" LVEF 65%

A short reference among many you might come across

"Heart failure with preserved left ventricular function (diastolic heart failure) occurs when the heart contracts normally, but the ventricles do not relax properly or are stiff and less blood enters the heart during normal filling. In this case, the ejection fraction may be normal."

A 12.5 METS is similar. That's actually a very high rating for most of us old timers.

A wild guess is that the average RO would, if other facts of the claim allow,

assign a low percentage. The other symptoms/conditions you mentioned might be better used to determine compensation.

Remember that the VA uses the thought that if you can work with the disability,

and it does not seriously impact "normal" life, it's not compensatable.