VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Plan May Have Backfired

Rate this question

Quibley

Question

I am 100% due to IU. Overall, 70% PTSD, 40% TBI and 10% hearing. Despite that, I filed for Voc Rehab recently. I did all the testing, filed an education/rehab plan, got accepted into American Public University (Bertha graduated from its sister university, American Military University) and got a buch of credits transfered, and am scheduled for a follow-up meeting next week. From everything I can sense, it looks like my counselor is going to approve me for the program, despite all the crap I read in various places that say you can't be TDIU and go to Voc Rehab.

Some people would say I'm playing a dangerous game-that once I get into school the VA could drop my IU based on the theory that if you are well enough to go to school then you can work. I'm in the Manila (Philippines) RO. I see my shrink twice a year, and my PCP twice a year. There are no pyscotherapy services here. No anger management classes, no CBT, nothing expcept see your shrink and take your meds. In addition, Manila Voc Rehab DOES NOT offer ILP services of any kind. Not because it doesn't want to just because there are many services that the VA does not offer in the Philippines that every other RO in the continental US does.

Anyway, I told my counselor from the start that there was no way I could attend a regular school in person because of daily panic attacks, anxiety and the propensity to tell instructors and/or students to go xxxx themselves. The fact that I have been a member of Hadit.com this long and have never got banned still amazes me sometimes. I also told her that I actually look at attending school as therapy. A way to try to reduce my signifigant isolation. A way to ATTEMPT to interact with people again.

I thought that I would get swatted down like a common housefly and be denied. But as earlier stated, it seriously looks like I am going to be approved. My plan was to use the denial to apply for P&T. But you know what? I am actually looking forward to going to school because I'm so God Damned bored! And, I actually liked school in the past and I enjoy the process of learning.

Lots of things on my mind though. I have terrible short term memory and a lot of difficulty concentrating. (PTSD & TBI). I am going to have to sit down with someone and ask them what kind of reasonable accomidation I should ask for at APU. I'm not getting better folks. If anything my condition had worsened and I'm a lot more prone to violence than I was when you quys met me in 2009 looking for guidance on my claims.

Still I'm willing to try if they are willing to send me.

Any thoughts?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Well I will tell you this, you will be very lucky if approved. I do know that my vocational rehab counselor just told me a couple of months ago that she doesn't believe I can obtain another job. This is after she read the IMO/IME for my current IU claim. It told her it wasn't up to me but I am going to see what the VA is going to do with the IU and I didn't want the VA to waste money on me doing college if I can't work because of a personal preference.

Online studies will do you good but I will forewarn you now it is very hard, if your a the a good college. I am finding it hard for me because of my panic attacks and constant pain throughout my body....I am going to to give it one more term and if I can't do it anylonger after that I am going to let my VR Counselor know. They actually write a report on your claim if they feel your employable or not.

If you are approved start off slow, take one class to start out with. If you feel good after that term then go for it.

BTW I don't get on here that much because of my anxiety/panic attacks and I hope you all understand this.....I rather PM JBasser and ask him questions....

Edited by rpowell01