VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Money For Widening Front Door For Electric Wheel Chair Access

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Does anyone know of any program other than the VA's one time grant assistance. I don't qualify for VA assistance,

since I am not 50 percent service connected as yet.

I qualify for the Electric wheel chair, but it may be too wide for my existing front door way, so I may have to replace it with a wider door. It also is required by the county, to get a building permit and a legal contractor to do the work, that way if I sale my home, I won't get into any problems.

I'm not home so I don't know if the question is mute or not. I'ver had to use another computor to get on line, with the rain we have had recently, their is to much line noise for my dial up to access the internet.

I live in northern Nevada, and need any help or sudjestion anyone can throw my way.

Rockhound Rider wacko.png

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Does anyone know of any program other than the VA's one time grant assistance. I don't qualify for VA assistance,

I qualify for the Electric wheel chair, but it may be too wide for my existing front door way, so I may have to replace it with a wider door. It also is required by the county, to get a building permit and a legal contractor to do the work, that way if I sale my home, I won't get into any problems.

I'm not home so I don't know if the question is mute or not. I'ver had to use another computor to get on line, with the rain we have had recently, their is to much line noise for my dial up to access the internet.

I live in northern Nevada, and need any help or sudjestion anyone can throw my way.

The VA has a program called HISA Home improvement structural alterations... all veterans qualify regardless of disability ratings. Those with rating get a higher amount. It is a one time grant to get doors widened or ramps or bathroom modifications.. It is administered by the Prosthetic Department at the VA Medical Centers. Some prosthetics people will want a referral from your Primary care doctor. See VA Handbook 1173.14 just do a Google search ........

Rockman's VA PCP is the one that requested and put in for a HISA Grant. Va sent us the packet and we were to get three estimates for our bathroom conversion. We were going to have our shower converted to a shower with wheelchair access. We were in the process of getting the three contractors. We were picking ones that we would feel comfortable and confident about their work, just in case that we would not have a say so in the final one picked for the job. I wish I could give more advice on the work, but unfortunately Rockman passed away before we could get the work started.

You can always measure your hallways as well as your entryways in case they could use your measurements. This is if you do not want to apply for the grant. Like said before, it is a one time grant.

Va has several wheelchairs and also scooters to choose from. Once VA selected Rockman's electric chair, they took him on a ride thru VA to make sure he knew how to drive it. They were extremely patient with him.

Let us know how things are going for you.

Mrs. Rockman

VA Independent Living programs also may be able to help it through Vocational Rehabilatation (think that right) they did some good things for me.

Also they do have some good contractors through VA that will do the work without a problem if you don't have one.

Edited by tmoe

Certainly, check with the resources already listed.

Here are some other possibilities:

Many areas have something called "Independent Living Center" that assists folks to stay in their homes. There might be some financial assistance available through them.

Check on your city, county or state disability office.

For a short-term solution, try changing out the door hinges with these hinge extenders (sometimes called off-set hinges) http://www.disabilit...cgi/search.html . Some on-line sites sell a three pack, 'cause most doors anymore have three hinges. Due to the hinge off-set, you get an 'extra' 2 inches of usable door opening and sometimes that will work. Not optimum, but an interim solution.